The Effects of Market Concentration and Horizontal Mergers on Hospital Costs and Prices
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, James C. & Phibbs, Ciaran S., 1990. "An evaluation of Medicaid selective contracting in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 437-455, February.
- Lynk, William J., 1995. "The creation of economic efficiencies in hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 507-530, December.
- Robinson, James C. & Luft, Harold S., 1985. "The impact of hospital market structure on patient volume, average length of stay, and the cost of care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 333-356, December.
- Staten, Michael & Umbeck, John & Dunkelberg, William, 1988. "Market share/market power revisited : A new test for an old theory," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-83, March.
- Noether, Monica, 1988. "Competition among hospitals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 259-284, September.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A., 1988. "The effects of hospital competition and the Medicare PPS program on hospital cost behavior in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Hay, George A & Werden, Gregory J, 1993. "Horizontal Mergers: Law, Policy, and Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, pages 173-177.
- Lynk, William J, 1995. "Nonprofit Hospital Mergers and the Exercise of Market Power," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 437-461, October.
- Dranove, David & Shanley, Mark & White, William D, 1993. "Price and Concentration in Hospital Markets: The Switch from Patient-Driven to Payer-Driven Competition," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 179-204, April.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Yu-Chu Shen & Vivian Wu & Glenn Melnick, 2008. "The Changing Effect of HMO Market Structure: An Analysis of Penetration, Concentration, and Ownership Between 1994-2005," NBER Working Papers 13775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vivian Wu, 2010. "Hospital cost shifting revisited: new evidence from the balanced budget act of 1997," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 61-83, March.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "Estimation and Identification of Merger Effects: An Application to Hospital Mergers," NBER Working Papers 11673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
KeywordsHospital Mergers; Antitrust; Competition; Market Concentration; Economies Of Scale;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ijecbs:v:5:y:1998:i:2:p:159-180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst). General contact details of provider: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.