Subscription equilibrium with production: Non-neutrality and constrained suboptimality
We study a general equilibrium model with a non-profit firm producing a public good using private goods as inputs which are financed by voluntary contributions (subscriptions) of households. We analyze policy interventions that increase the public good level at subscription equilibria, and show that some of the standard results of the neutrality literature do not survive in our model with many private goods and relative price effects allowed. First, we show that a redistribution away from a contributor or even a decrease in the total wealth of all contributors (while the contributing set of agents remains intact) can lead to an increase in the provided level of public good. Moreover, we prove that increasing the production of public good is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition to increase all householdsʼ welfare. Finally, we present conditions under which, for a generic set of economies, well chosen interventions will Pareto improve upon a given subscription equilibrium outcome. As a consequence, a general non-neutrality result in terms of utilities holds even if all households are contributors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2004.
"Pareto improving interventions in a general equilibrium model with private provision of public goods,"
183, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Jun 2006.
- Antonio Villanacci & Ünal Zenginobuz, 2006. "Pareto improving interventions in a general equilibrium model with private provision of public goods," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 249-271, December.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2001.
"On the neutrality of redistribution in a general equilibrium model with public goods,"
190, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Aug 2005.
- Antonio Villanacci & Ünal Zenginobuz, 2007. "On the Neutrality of Redistribution in a General Equilibrium Model with Public Goods," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(2), pages 183-200, 04.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, E.Unal, 2005. "Existence and regularity of equilibria in a general equilibrium model with private provision of a public good," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4-5), pages 617-636, August.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, E. Unal, 2006.
"Subscription equilibria with public production: Existence and regularity,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 199-215, December.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2005. "Subscription equilibria with public production: Existence and regularity," MPRA Paper 132, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Sep 2006.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1986. "On the Voluntary and Involuntary Provision of Public Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 789-93, September.
- Andreoni, James, 1988. "Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-73, February.
- Martin McGuire, 1974. "Group size, group homo-geneity, and the aggregate provision of a pure public good under cournot behavior," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 107-126, June.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, October.
- Kemp, Murray C., 1984. "A note of the theory of international transfers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 259-262.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Warr, Peter G., 1983. "The private provision of a public good is independent of the distribution of income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 207-211.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Brennan, Geoffrey & Pincus, Jonathan J, 1983. "Government Expenditure Growth and Resource Allocation: The Nebulous Connection," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 351-65, November.
- Douglas Young, 1982. "Voluntary purchase of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 73-85, March.
- Warr, Peter G., 1982. "Pareto optimal redistribution and private charity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 131-138, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:2:p:407-425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.