Recontracting and stochastic stability in cooperative games
An evolutionary style model of recontracting is given which guarantees convergence to core allocations of an underlying cooperative game. Unlike its predecessors in the evolution/learning literature, this is achieved without assumptions of convexity of the characteristic function or a reliance on random errors. The stochastic stability properties of the model are then examined and it is shown that stochastically stable states solve a simple and intuitive minimization problem which reduces to maximizing a Rawlsian SWF for a common class of utility functions. In contrast to previous analyses, the stochastically stable state is unique for a broad class of utility functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chatterjee, Kalyan & Bhaskar Dutta & Debraj Ray & Kunal Sengupta, 1993. "A Noncooperative Theory of Coalitional Bargaining," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 463-77, April.
- Perry, M. & Rany, P., 1992.
"A Non-Cooperative View of Coalition Formation and the Core,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9203, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Perry, Motty & Reny, Philip J, 1994. "A Noncooperative View of Coalition Formation and the Core," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 795-817, July.
- Young H. P., 1993. "An Evolutionary Model of Bargaining," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 145-168, February.
- M. Kandori & G. Mailath & R. Rob, 1999.
"Learning, Mutation and Long Run Equilibria in Games,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
500, David K. Levine.
- Kandori, Michihiro & Mailath, George J & Rob, Rafael, 1993. "Learning, Mutation, and Long Run Equilibria in Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 29-56, January.
- Kandori, M. & Mailath, G.J., 1991. "Learning, Mutation, And Long Run Equilibria In Games," Papers 71, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - John M. Olin Program.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2008.
"Mistakes in Cooperation: the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(532), pages 1719-1741, October.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2003. "MISTAKE IN COOPERATION:the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Working Papers 2003-23, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2005. "Mistakes In Cooperation: The Stochastic Stability Of Edgeworth'S Recontracting," Economics Working Papers we056332, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2003. "Mistakes in Cooperation: the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Economics Working Papers 0029, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Agastya, Murali, 1997.
"Adaptive Play in Multiplayer Bargaining Situations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 411-26, July.
- Murali Agastia, . "Adaptive Play in Multiplayer Bargaining Situations," ELSE working papers 007, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Green, Jerry R, 1974. "The Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting Process," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 21-34, January.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Arnold, Tone & Schwalbe, Ulrich, 2002. "Dynamic coalition formation and the core," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 363-380, November.
- Agastya, Murali, 1999. "Perturbed Adaptive Dynamics in Coalition Form Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 207-233, December.
- Feldman, Allan M, 1974. "Recontracting Stability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 35-44, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:1:p:364-381. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.