Inefficiencies in a model of spatial networks formation with positive externalities
In this paper, we make an exploratory use of computational techniques (genetic algorithms and Monte Carlo simulations) to compute efficient and emergent networks in a spatialized version of the connections model of Jackson and Wolinski [Jackson, M.O., Wolinski, A., 1996. A strategic model of social and economic networks. Journal of Economic Theory 71, 44-74]. This approach allows us to observe and discuss inefficiencies that arise in a strategic network formation context with imperfectly link-mediated positive externalities to connections and spatial link costs. Our results highlight that, depending on the strength of the externalities, emergent and efficient networks may share several structural properties. Nevertheless, emergent networks are insufficiently dense and should be more structured around central agents.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jackson, Matthew O., 1998.
"The Evolution of Social and Economic Networks,"
1044, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Francis Bloch, 2004.
"The Formation of Networks with Transfers among Players,"
2004.80, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bloch, Francis & Jackson, Matthew O., 2007. "The formation of networks with transfers among players," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 83-110, March.
- Bloch, Francis & Jackson, Matthew, 2004. "The Formation of Networks with Transfers among Players," Working Papers 1194, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Kirman, Alan P. & Vriend, Nicolaas J., 2001. "Evolving market structure: An ACE model of price dispersion and loyalty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 459-502, March.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Brian W. Rogers, 2005.
"The Economics of Small Worlds,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 617-627, 04/05.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Brian W. Rogers, 2005. "The Economics of Small Worlds," Game Theory and Information 0503004, EconWPA.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Rogers, Brian W., 2005. "The economics of small worlds," Working Papers 1214, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Dupouet, Olivier & Yildizoglu, Murat, 2006.
"Organizational performance in hierarchies and communities of practice,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 668-690, December.
- Olivier DUPOUËT (BETA UMR CNRS 7522) & Murat YILDIZOGLU (IFReDE-E3i), 2003. "Organizational performance in hierarchies and communities of practice," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-06, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Robles, Jack, 1998. "Evolution with Changing Mutation Rates," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 207-223, April.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Robert P. Gilles & Cathleen Johnson, 2000. "original papers : Spatial social networks," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 273-299.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Fernando Vega Redondo, 2002.
"Building Up Social Capital In A Changing World,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-26, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Leigh TESFATSION, 1995.
"A Trade Network Game With Endogenous Partner Selection,"
36, Iowa State University Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 1997. "A Trade Network Game with Endogenous Partner Selection," Staff General Research Papers 1680, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Nicolas Carayol & Pascale Roux, 2004. "Behavioral Foundations And Equilibrium Notions For Social Network Formation Processes," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(01), pages 77-92.
- Lerner, Josh, 1995. " Venture Capitalists and the Oversight of Private Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 301-18, March.
- Nicolas CARAYOL (ADIS, BETA) & Pascale ROUX (ADIS, BETA) & Murat YILDIZOGLU (E3I, IFReDE-GRES), 2005. "Efficiency of network structures: The needle in the haystack," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2005-06, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Watts, Alison, 2001. "A Dynamic Model of Network Formation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 331-341, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeborg:v:67:y:2008:i:2:p:495-511. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.