Antecedents and consequences of management-espoused organizational cultural control
The issue of control is central to many conceptualizations of work and work organization. Although the body of research on organizational culture control is growing, this literature has a number of limitations. This article encourages theory building by supplying generalizable empirical evidence of the practices of organizations that aim to enhance management-espoused cultural control as well as developing insights into how such efforts impact on employees. The analysis of the responses to a survey of one thousand firms finds a number of significant associations between the three antecedent factors and cultural control as well as three associations with consequences. The article culminates with a discussion of the contributions and implications of these findings.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrice Rosenthal & Stephen Hill & Riccardo Peccei, 1997. "Checking Out Service: Evaluating Excellence, HRM and TQM in Retailing," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 11(3), pages 481-503, September.
- Kenneth A. Bollen, 1989. "A New Incremental Fit Index for General Structural Equation Models," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 17(3), pages 303-316, February.
- Mats Alvesson, 2002. "Identity Regulation as Organizational Control: Producing the Appropriate Individual," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 619-644, 07.
- P. M. Bentler & Chih-Ping Chou, 1987. "Practical Issues in Structural Modeling," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 16(1), pages 78-117, August.
- Christopher Grey, 1996. "Towards A Critique of Managerialism: the Contribution of Simone Weil," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5), pages 591-612, 09.
- Emmanuel Ogbonna & Barry Wilkinson, 2003. "The False Promise of Organizational Culture Change: A Case Study of Middle Managers in Grocery Retailing," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1151-1178, 07.
- William G. Ouchi, 1979. "A Conceptual Framework for the Design of Organizational Control Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 833-848, September.
- Oliver, Richard L & Bearden, William O, 1985. " Crossover Effects in the Theory of Reasoned Action: A Moderating Influence Attempt," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 324-40, December.
- Fisher, Robert J, 1993. " Social Desirability Bias and the Validity of Indirect Questioning," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 303-15, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:5:p:437-445. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.