An empirical examination of the informational content of credit ratings in China
We examine the certification effect of initial rating announcements and the signaling effect of rating downgrade announcements in China using a pooled time-series cross-sectional issuer rating data of 170 companies listed on the Shanghai and Shenzhen Stock Exchanges from 2002 to July 2006. The empirical evidence supports our hypothesis of an asymmetric certification effect. Consistent with the literature, we also find some negative signaling effects in our rating downgrade sub-sample. Overall, although there are some qualitative arguments that credit ratings in China do not have information content, our empirical findings suggest otherwise. When a normally positively biased rating agency gives a low rating, it is valuable news to market participants.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nayar, Nandkumar & Rozeff, Michael S, 1994. " Ratings, Commercial Paper, and Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1431-49, September.
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, 2000.
"The Information Value of Bond Ratings,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2879-2902, December.
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, . "The Information Value of Bond Ratings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 13-97, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1986. "The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 57-89, September.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Goh, Jeremy C & Ederington, Louis H, 1993. " Is a Bond Rating Downgrade Bad News, Good News, or No News for Stockholders?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 2001-08, December.
- Beaver, William H. & Shakespeare, Catherine & Soliman, Mark T., 2006. "Differential properties in the ratings of certified versus non-certified bond-rating agencies," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 303-334, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:61:y:2008:i:7:p:790-797. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.