Optimal VWAP trading under noisy conditions
This article proposes an empirically tractable way to incorporate intra-day noise into a VWAP trading rule. In volatile markets, news arrives unexpectedly and rapidly. This should influence a trader's trading decisions. However, the literature has not incorporated such information into an algorithmic trading framework. Subsequently, this paper presents a Dynamic VWAP (DVWAP) framework that allows informed traders to utilize random news; and thus, improve trade-execution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kerry Back & C. Henry Cao & Gregory A. Willard, 2000. "Imperfect Competition among Informed Traders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2117-2155, October.
- Raymond M. Brooks & Ajay Patel & Tie Su, 2003. "How the Equity Market Responds to Unanticipated Events," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(1), pages 109-134, January.
- Jedrzej Białkowski & Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2006.
"Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamical volume approach,"
Documents de recherche
06-08, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Bialkowski, Jedrzej & Darolles, Serge & Le Fol, Gaëlle, 2008. "Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamic volume approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1709-1722, September.
- Jedrzej Bialkowski & Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2008. "Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamic volume approach," Post-Print halshs-00676946, HAL.
- Cooney, John Jr. & Sias, Richard W., 2004. "Informed trading and order type," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1711-1743, July.
- Johnson, Timothy C., 2008. "Volume, liquidity, and liquidity risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 388-417, February.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. "The Effect of Public Information and Competition on Trading Volume and Price Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 23-56.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1996. " Strategic Trading When Agents Forecast the Forecasts of Others," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1437-78, September.
- Chan, Kalok & Fong, Wai-Ming, 2000. "Trade size, order imbalance, and the volatility-volume relation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 247-273, August.
- Andrew W. Lo & Jiang W. Wang, 2000.
"Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
7625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W & Wang, Jiang, 2000. "Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 257-300.
- Cao, Charles & Field, Laura Casares & Hanka, Gordon, 2004. "Does Insider Trading Impair Market Liquidity? Evidence from IPO Lockup Expirations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 25-46, March.
- A. Can Inci & Biao Lu & H. Nejat Seyhun, 2010. "Intraday Behavior of Stock Prices and Trades around Insider Trading," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 39(1), pages 323-363, 03.
- Kang, Moonsoo, 2010. "Probability of information-based trading and the January effect," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2985-2994, December.
- Bauer, Rob & Cosemans, Mathijs & Eichholtz, Piet, 2009. "Option trading and individual investor performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 731-746, April.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," NBER Working Papers 11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Chuang-Chang & Hsieh, Pei-Fang & Lai, Hung-Neng, 2009. "Do informed option investors predict stock returns? Evidence from the Taiwan stock exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 757-764, April.
- Kissell, Robert & Glantz, Morton & Malamut, Roberto, 2004. "A practical framework for estimating transaction costs and developing optimal trading strategies to achieve best execution," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 35-46, March.
- Fong, Kingsley Y.L. & Liu, Wai-Man, 2010. "Limit order revisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1873-1885, August.
- Muck, Matthias, 2010. "Trading strategies with partial access to the derivatives market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1288-1298, June.
- Thapa, Chandra & Poshakwale, Sunil S., 2010. "International equity portfolio allocations and transaction costs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2627-2638, November.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole, 1999. "Do trading rules impact on market efficiency? A comparison of opening procedures on the Australian and Jakarta Stock Exchanges," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 495-521, December.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1993. "Stealth trading and volatility : Which trades move prices?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 281-305, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:35:y:2011:i:9:p:2319-2329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.