The dynamics of the volatility skew: A Kalman filter approach
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rama Cont & Jose da Fonseca, 2002. "Dynamics of implied volatility surfaces," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 45-60.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Testing Density Forecasts, with Applications to Risk Management," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 465-474, October.
- Christoffersen, Peter, 2011. "Elements of Financial Risk Management," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 2, number 9780123744487.
- Guidolin, Massimo & Timmermann, Allan, 2003.
"Option prices under Bayesian learning: implied volatility dynamics and predictive densities,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 717-769, March.
- Allan Timmermann & Massimo Guidolin, 2001. "Option Prices under Bayesian Learning: Implied Volatility Dynamics and Predictive Densities," FMG Discussion Papers dp397, Financial Markets Group.
- Guidolin, Massimo & Timmermann, Allan G, 2001. "Option Prices under Bayesian Learning: Implied Volatility Dynamics and Predictive Densities," CEPR Discussion Papers 3005, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schönbucher, Philpp J., "undated". "A Market Model for Stochastic Implied Volatility," Discussion Paper Serie B 453, University of Bonn, Germany, revised May 1999.
- Hibbert, Ann Marie & Daigler, Robert T. & Dupoyet, Brice, 2008. "A behavioral explanation for the negative asymmetric return-volatility relation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2254-2266, October.
- Konstantinidi, Eirini & Skiadopoulos, George & Tzagkaraki, Emilia, 2008. "Can the evolution of implied volatility be forecasted? Evidence from European and US implied volatility indices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2401-2411, November.
- Sílvia Gonçalves & Massimo Guidolin, 2006.
"Predictable Dynamics in the S&P 500 Index Options Implied Volatility Surface,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1591-1636, May.
- Silvia Goncalves & Massimo Guidolin, 2005. "Predictable dynamics in the S&P 500 index options implied volatility surface," Working Papers 2005-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Becker, Ralf & Clements, Adam E. & White, Scott I., 2007. "Does implied volatility provide any information beyond that captured in model-based volatility forecasts?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2535-2549, August.
- Deuskar, Prachi & Gupta, Anurag & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2008. "The economic determinants of interest rate option smiles," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 714-728, May.
- Joshua Rosenberg, 1999. "Implied Volatility Functions: A Reprise," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-027, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Weinbaum, David, 2010. "Preference heterogeneity and asset prices: An exact solution," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2238-2246, September.
- Andreou, Panayiotis C. & Charalambous, Chris & Martzoukos, Spiros H., 2010. "Generalized parameter functions for option pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 633-646, March.
- Chalamandaris, Georgios & Tsekrekos, Andrianos E., 2010. "Predictable dynamics in implied volatility surfaces from OTC currency options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1175-1188, June.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Hess, Dieter & Veredas, David, 2011.
"The impact of macroeconomic news on quote adjustments, noise, and informational volatility,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2733-2746, October.
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Dieter Hess & David Veredas, 2010. "The impact of macroeconomic news on quote adjustments, noise and informational volatility," Working Papers ECARES 2010-004, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Hess, Dieter E. & Veredas, David, 2010. "The impact of macroeconomic news on quote adjustments, noise, and informational volatility," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/01, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Dieter Hess & David Veredas, 2011. "The impact of macroeconomic news on quote adjustments, noise and informational volatility," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136190, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Dieter Hess & David Veredas, 2010. "The Impact of Macroeconomic News on Quote Adjustments, Noise, and Informational Volatility," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-005, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Hess, Dieter E. & Veredas, David, 2011. "The impact of macroeconomic news on quote adjustments, noise, and informational volatility," CFR Working Papers 11-06, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Cartea, Álvaro & Karyampas, Dimitrios, 2011.
"Volatility and covariation of financial assets: A high-frequency analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3319-3334.
- Cartea, Álvaro & Karyampas, Dimitrios, 2009. "Volatility and covariation of financial assets: a high-frequency analysis," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb097609, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Álvaro Cartea & Dimitrios Karyampas, 2009. "Volatility and Covariation of Financial Assets: A High-Frequency Analysis," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0913, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Fahlenbrach, Rüdiger & Sandås, Patrik, 2010. "Does information drive trading in option strategies?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2370-2385, October.
- López, Raquel, 2015. "Do stylized facts of equity-based volatility indices apply to fixed-income volatility indices? Evidence from the US Treasury market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 292-303.
- Alejandro Bernales & Diether W. Beuermann & Gonzalo Cortazar, 2014. "Thinly traded securities and risk management," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 41(1 Year 20), pages 5-48, June.
- Chang, Chuang-Chang & Hsieh, Pei-Fang & Wang, Yaw-Huei, 2010. "Information content of options trading volume for future volatility: Evidence from the Taiwan options market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 174-183, January.
- Yanhui Chen & Kin Lai, 2013. "Examination on the Relationship Between VHSI, HSI and Future Realized Volatility With Kalman Filter," Eurasian Business Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 3(2), pages 200-216, December.
- Chen, Si & Zhou, Zhen & Li, Shenghong, 2016. "An efficient estimate and forecast of the implied volatility surface: A nonlinear Kalman filter approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 655-664.
- Bernales, Alejandro & Guidolin, Massimo, 2014.
"Can we forecast the implied volatility surface dynamics of equity options? Predictability and economic value tests,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 326-342.
- Alejandro Bernales & Massimo Guidolin, 2012. "Can We Forecast the Implied Volatility Surface Dynamics of Equity Options? Predictability and Economic Value Tests," Working Papers 456, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Chalamandaris, Georgios & Rompolis, Leonidas S., 2012. "Exploring the role of the realized return distribution in the formation of the implied volatility smile," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1028-1044.
- Michel van der Wel & Sait R. Ozturk & Dick van Dijk, 2016. "Dynamic Factor Models for the Volatility Surface," Advances in Econometrics,in: Dynamic Factor Models, volume 35, pages 127-174 Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- Diether W. Beuermann, 2015.
"Information and Communications Technology, Agricultural Profitability and Child Labor in Rural Peru,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 988-1005, November.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Diether Beuermann & Alejandro Bernales, 2013. "Risk Management with Thinly Traded Securities: Methodology and Implementation," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4647, Inter-American Development Bank.
More about this item
KeywordsImplied volatility Kalman filter Density forecasting Value-at-Risk;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:33:y:2009:i:6:p:1156-1165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.