What do investment banks charge to underwrite American Depositary Receipts?
We investigate how investment banks determine the gross spreads paid by American Depositary Receipts (ADRs) from 1980 to 2004. We begin by comparing the gross spreads of ADR IPOs and ADR SEOs to those of matching US IPOs and US SEOs. We document clustering at the 7% level for our ADR IPO sample (44% for the ADR IPO firms without a previous equity listing), whereas our ADR SEO sample exhibits no discernable clustering at any level. We then find that ADR IPO gross spreads can be explained by firm and offer characteristics (similar to our matched sample of US IPOs), and by whether the ADR IPO firm has a previous equity listing. ADR SEO gross spreads can be explained more by offer characteristics (more similar to our matched sample of US SEOs).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Robert S., 2001. "Do investment banks compete in IPOs?: the advent of the "7% plus contract"," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 313-346, March.
- Hsuan-Chi Chen & Jay R. Ritter, 2000. "The Seven Percent Solution," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1105-1131, 06.
- Robert Bruner & Susan Chaplinsky & Latha Ramchand, 2004. "US-Bound IPOs: Issue Costs and Selective Entry," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(3), Fall.
- H. Kent Baker & Gary E. Powell & Daniel G. Weaver, 1999. "Does NYSE Listing Affect Firm Visibility?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 28(2), Summer.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-1067, September.
- Sami Torstila, 2001. "What Determines IPO Gross Spreads in Europe?," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(4), pages 523-541.
- Diro Ejara, Demissew & Ghosh, Chinmoy, 2004. "Underpricing and aftermarket performance of American depositary receipts (ADR) IPOs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 3151-3186, December.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mola, Simona & Loughran, Tim, 2004. "Discounting and Clustering in Seasoned Equity Offering Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 1-23, March.
- Brau, James C. & Li, Mingsheng & Shi, Jing, 2007. "Do secondary shares in the IPO process have a negative effect on aftermarket performance?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2612-2631, September.
- Stephen R. Foerster & G. Andrew Karolyi, 1999. "The Effects of Market Segmentation and Investor Recognition on Asset Prices: Evidence from Foreign Stocks Listing in the United States," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 981-1013, 06.
- Bradley, Daniel & Chan, Konan & Kim, Joonghyuk & Singh, Ajai, 2008. "Are there long-run implications of analyst coverage for IPOs?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1120-1132, June.
- Burns, Natasha & Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2007. "Cross-listing and legal bonding: Evidence from mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1003-1031, April.
- Alexander P. Ljungqvist & Tim Jenkinson & William J. Wilhelm, Jr., 2003.
"Global Integration in Primary Equity Markets: The Role of U.S. Banks and U.S. Investors,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 63-99.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Tim Jenkinson & William Wilhelm, 2001. "Global Integration in Primary Equity Markets: The Role of U.S. Banks and U.S. Investors," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe06, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Bradley, Daniel J. & Cooney, John W. & Jordan, Bradford D. & Singh, Ajai K., 2004. "Negotiation and the IPO Offer Price: A Comparison of Integer vs. Non-Integer IPOs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 517-540, September.
- Torstila, Sami, 2003. "The Clustering of IPO Gross Spreads: International Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 673-694, September.
- Tim Loughran & Jay Ritter, 2004. "Why Has IPO Underpricing Changed Over Time?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(3), Fall.
- Kloek, T, 1981. "OLS Estimation in a Model Where a Microvariable Is Explained by Aggregates and Contemporaneous Disturbances Are Equicorrelated," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 205-207, January.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1991. "Stock Price Clustering and Discreteness," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 389-415.
- Butler, Alexander W. & Grullon, Gustavo & Weston, James P., 2005. "Stock Market Liquidity and the Cost of Issuing Equity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 331-348, June.
- Altinkilic, Oya & Hansen, Robert S, 2000. "Are There Economies of Scale in Underwriting Fees? Evidence of Rising External Financing Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 191-218.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Richard B. Carter & Frederick H. Dark & Ajai K. Singh, 1998. "Underwriter Reputation, Initial Returns, and the Long-Run Performance of IPO Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 285-311, 02.
- Spiess, D. Katherine & Affleck-Graves, John, 1995. "Underperformance in long-run stock returns following seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 243-267, July.
- Butler, Alexander W. & Huang, Pinghsun, 2003. "On the uniformity of investment banking spreads: the seven percent solution is not unique," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 265-272, July.
- Ritter, Jay R., 1987. "The costs of going public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 269-281, December.
- Oren Fuerst, 1998. "A Theoretical Analysis of the Investor Protection Regulations Argument for Global Listing of Stocks," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm106, Yale School of Management.
- Jones, Steven L. & Megginson, William L. & Nash, Robert C. & Netter, Jeffry M., 1999. "Share issue privatizations as financial means to political and economic ends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 217-253, August.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Dahiya, Sandeep & Klapper, Leora, 2007. "ADR holdings of US-based emerging market funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1649-1667, June.
- Wu, Congsheng & Kwok, Chuck C.Y., 2007. "Long-run performance of global versus domestic initial public offerings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 609-627, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:33:y:2009:i:4:p:609-618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.