Finance and development: Is Schumpeter's analysis still relevant?
In recent years, numerous studies have been published highlighting the role of financial structures in the development process of contemporary economies. In these recent studies, there is always a reference to the pioneering work of Schumpeter; in particular in the writings of Rajan and Zingales [Rajan, R., Zingales, L. 2003a. Banks and markets: The changing character of european finance, NBER Working Paper Series, No. 9595, March; Rajan, R., Zingales, L. 2003b. The great reversal: The politics of financial development in the twentieth century, Journal of Financial Economics 69, 5-50; Rajan, R., Zingales, L. 2003c. Saving Capitalism from Capitalist, Crown Business Division of Random House, New York], important elements of Schumpeter's theoretical framework are used. These works afford us an interesting opportunity to re-evaluate the importance of Schumpeter's contribution. The thesis put forward in this paper is that while they do indeed highlight important elements of Schumpeter's theory, Rajan and Zingales do not take the implications thereof into account and, furthermore, they neglect certain fundamental aspects of the Schumpeterian analysis that are closely connected with the parts that they consider. This renders their work incomplete, and prevents their analysis from achieving the coherence of Schumpeter's theory.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2001.
"Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Economics,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
2001-8, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002. "Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 460-501, June.
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Salvatore Capasso, 2003.
"Financial Markets Development And Economic Growth: Tales Of Informational Asymmetries,"
2_2003, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Salvatore Capasso, 2004. "Financial Markets, Development and Economic Growth: Tales of Informational Asymmetries," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18, pages 267-292, 07.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Wurgler, Jeffrey, 2000.
"Financial markets and the allocation of capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 187-214.
- Levine, Ross, 2002.
"Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which Is Better?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 398-428, October.
- Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which is Better?," NBER Working Papers 9138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which is Better?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 442, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 2003.
"Banks and Markets: the Changing Character of European Finance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3865, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Zingales & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Banks and Markets: The Changing Character of European Finance," NBER Working Papers 9595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Capital Market Imperfections, High-Tech Investment, and New Equity Financing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F54-F72, February.
- Leopoldo Fergusson, 2006. "Institutions for Financial Development: What are they and where do they come from?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 27-70, 02.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Winton, 2002.
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Jaffee, Dwight & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1990. "Credit rationing," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 837-888 Elsevier.
- Paul Wachtel, 2003. "How much do we really know about growth and finance?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q1, pages 33-47.
- North, Douglass C. & Weingast, Barry R., 1989. "Constitutions and Commitment: The Evolution of Institutions Governing Public Choice in Seventeenth-Century England," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(04), pages 803-832, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Alan S. Blinder & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983.
"Money, Credit Constraints, and Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
1084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goodhart, C A E, 1987. "Why Do Banks Need a Central Bank?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 75-89, March.
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Stiglitz,Joseph & Greenwald,Bruce, 2003.
"Towards a New Paradigm in Monetary Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521810340, November.
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Zingales, Luigi, 2003. "The great reversals: the politics of financial development in the twentieth century," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-50, July.
- Richard Sylla, 2006. "Schumpeter Redux: A Review of Raghuram G. Rajan and Luigi Zingales's Saving Capitalism from the Capitalists," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(2), pages 391-404, June.
- Douglass C. North, 2005. "Introduction to Understanding the Process of Economic Change," Introductory Chapters, in: Understanding the Process of Economic Change Princeton University Press.
- Pierre Garrouste & Stavros Iaonnides, 2001. "Evolution and Path-Dependency in Economic Ideas: Past and Present," Post-Print halshs-00274526, HAL.
- Giovanni Ferri, 2006. "Essay Review on Raghuram G. Rajan and Luigi Zingales (2003), Saving Capitalism from the Capitalists, Random House, New York," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 35(2), pages 219-225, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:32:y:2008:i:6:p:1161-1175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.