R&D, unemployment, and labor market policies
This paper studies the effects of labor market policies on R&D activities and unemployment. I develop a search and matching model in which firms' R&D decisions are endogenously determined. The model demonstrates that more intensive labor market policies that protect workers reduce the levels of R&D activities. This study offers a theoretical framework to understand the relationship between R&D activities, labor market policies, and unemployment which is discussed in empirical studies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2002. "The Dynamics of Technological Unemployment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(3), pages 737-760, August.
- Tripier, Fabien, 2006.
"Sticky prices, fair wages, and the co-movements of unemployment and labor productivity growth,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2749-2774, December.
- Fabien Tripier, 2005. "Sticky prices, fair wages, and the co-movements of unemployment and labor productivity growth," Macroeconomics 0510015, EconWPA.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999.
"Job reallocation, employment fluctuations and unemployment,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 18, pages 1171-1228
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1999. "Job Reallocation, Employment Fluctuations and Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0421, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1998.
" Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 113-141, March.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," Papers 1997-25, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," Working Paper Series 1997:25, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 380, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Peter A. Diamond, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 217-227.
- Michael Bruno & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1985. "Economics of Worldwide Stagflation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number brun85-1, Enero.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Giovanna Vallanti, 2007.
"The Impact Of Tfp Growth On Steady-State Unemployment,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 607-640, 05.
- Pissarides, Christopher & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2005. "The Impact of TFP Growth on Steady-State Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5002, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 2005. "Alfred Marshall Lecture: Growth, Unemployment, and Labor Market Policy," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 236-258, 04/05.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Been-Lon Chen & Jie-Ping Mo & Ping Wang, 2000.
"Market Frictions, Technology Adoption and Economic Growth,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0034, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Chen, Been-Lon & Mo, Jie-Ping & Wang, Ping, 2002. "Market frictions, technology adoption and economic growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 1927-1954, September.
- Mortensen, Dale & Pissarides, Christopher, 2011.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 1-19.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Prices, Wages and the U.S. NAIRU in the 1990s," NBER Working Papers 8320, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1998. "Technological Progress, Job Creation and Job Destruction," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(4), pages 733-753, October.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1994.
"Growth and Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 477-494.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli, 2001. "Unemployment and growth: some empirical evidence from structural time series models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 1083-1088.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:22:y:2010:i:3:p:198-205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.