Open economy forecasting with a DSGE-VAR: Head to head with the RBNZ published forecasts
We construct a DSGE-VAR model for competing head to head with the long history of published forecasts of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand. We also construct a Bayesian VAR model with a Minnesota prior for forecast comparison. The DSGE-VAR model combines a structural DSGE model with a statistical VAR model based on the in-sample fit over the majority of New Zealand’s inflation-targeting period. We evaluate the real-time out-of-sample forecasting performance of the DSGE-VAR model, and show that the forecasts from the DSGE-VAR are competitive with the Reserve Bank of New Zealand’s published, judgmentally-adjusted forecasts. The Bayesian VAR model with a Minnesota prior also provides a competitive forecasting performance, and generally, with a few exceptions, out-performs both the DSGE-VAR and the Reserve Bank’s own forecasts.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goodwin, Paul, 2000. "Correct or combine? Mechanically integrating judgmental forecasts with statistical methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 261-275.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2003. "Take your model bowling: forecasting with general equilibrium models," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 35-50.
- Thomas Lubik & Frank Schorfheide, 2006. "A Bayesian Look at the New Open Economy Macroeconomics," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2005, Volume 20, pages 313-382 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Lubik & Frank Schorfheide, 2003.
"Do Central Banks Respond to Exchange Rate Movements? A Structural Investigation,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
505, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Lubik, Thomas A. & Schorfheide, Frank, 2007. "Do central banks respond to exchange rate movements? A structural investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1069-1087, May.
- Olivier Basdevant & Nils Björksten & Özer Karagedikli, 2004. "Estimating a time varying neutral real interest rate for New Zealand," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP 2004/01, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Martin Fukac & Adrian Pagan, 2006.
"Issues in Adopting DSGE Models for Use in the Policy Process,"
2006/6, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Martin Fukac & Adrian Pagan, 2006. "Issues In Adopting Dsge Models For Use In The Policy Process," CAMA Working Papers 2006-10, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- DeJong, David N. & Ingram, Beth F. & Whiteman, Charles H., 2000. "A Bayesian approach to dynamic macroeconomics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 203-223, October.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2008.
"Inflation dynamics in a small open-economy model under inflation targeting: some evidence from Chile,"
329, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2009. "Inflation Dynamics in a Small Open Economy Model under Inflation Targeting: Some Evidence from Chile," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Carl E. Walsh & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series (ed.), Monetary Policy under Uncertainty and Learning, edition 1, volume 13, chapter 13, pages 511-562 Central Bank of Chile.
- Marco del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2008. "Inflation Dynamics in a Small Open Economy Model Under Inflation Targeting: Some Evidence From Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 486, Central Bank of Chile.
- Ana Maria Santacreu, 2005.
"Reaction functions in a small open economy: What role for non-traded inflation?,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2005/04, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Santacreu, Ana Maria, 2005. "Reaction functions in a small open economy: What role for non-traded inflation?," Working Papers 2014-44, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2002.
"Priors from general equilibrium models for VARs,"
2002-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Bruce Preston, 2009.
"Monetary policy and uncertainty in an empirical small open economy model,"
Working Paper Series
WP-09-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Bruce Preston, 2010. "Monetary policy and uncertainty in an empirical small open-economy model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 93-128.
- Jordi Gal� & Tommaso Monacelli, 2005. "Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Volatility in a Small Open Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 707-734.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a Currency Area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Lubik & Frank Schorfheide, 2002.
"Testing for Indeterminacy:An Application to U.S. Monetary Policy,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
480, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Jun 2003.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Frank Schorfheide, 2004. "Testing for Indeterminacy: An Application to U.S. Monetary Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 190-217, March.
- Hall, Stephen G. & Mitchell, James, 2007. "Combining density forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-13.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:27:y:2011:i:2:p:512-528. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.