The pricing behaviour of Australian banks and building societies in the residential mortgage market
This paper examines if the dynamic interplay between the Reserve Bank of Australia's (RBA) cash rate and the standard variable mortgage rates of 23 major lenders is subject to both the amount and adjustment asymmetries. Using weekly data (2000–2012), the cash rate and lending rates are pairwise cointegrated. An asymmetric short-run dynamic model is then estimated in which both the size and sign of disequilibria are taken into account. Significant evidence of the adjustment asymmetry is found among 8 lenders (including all foreign subsidiary banks). This paper also finds that the three largest domestic banks pass on the RBA's official rate rises to borrowers more than they do for rate cuts, affecting the efficacy of expansionary versus contractionary monetary policy.
Volume (Year): 26 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chong, Beng Soon & Liu, Ming-Hua & Shrestha, Keshab, 2006. "Monetary transmission via the administered interest rates channel," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1467-1484, May.
- Leo Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2011.
"Bank-Specific Daily Interest Rate Adjustment in the Dutch Mortgage Market,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 145-159, June.
- Leo de Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2005. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment in the Dutch Mortgage Market," DNB Working Papers 061, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Chong, Beng Soon, 2010. "Interest rate deregulation: Monetary policy efficacy and rate rigidity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1299-1307, June.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- G. C. Lim & Sarantis Tsiaplias & Chew Lian Chua, 2013.
"Bank and Official Interest Rates: How Do They Interact over Time?,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 89(285), pages 160-174, 06.
- G. C. Lim & Sarantis Tsiaplias & C. L. Chua, 2010. "Bank and Official Interest Rates: How Do They Interact over Time?," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2010n04, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- James E. Payne, 2007. "More on the monetary transmission mechanism: mortgage rates and the federal funds rate," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(2), pages 247-257, January.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Maghrebi, Nabil, 2006. "Are international real interest rate linkages characterized by asymmetric adjustments?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 384-396, October.
- Linda A. Toolsema & Jan P. A. M. Jacobs, 2007.
"Why do prices rise faster than they fall? With an application to mortgage rates,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 701-712.
- Toolsema, Linda A. & Jacobs, Jan, 2001. "Why do prices rise faster than they fall? : with an application to mortgage rates," CCSO Working Papers 200106, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- James Payne & George Waters, 2008. "Interest rate pass through and asymmetric adjustment: evidence from the federal funds rate operating target period," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(11), pages 1355-1362.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Sajid Anwar, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through and the Asymmetric Relationship between the Cash Rate and the Mortgage Rate," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(282), pages 341-350, 09.
- Kurt Brännäs & Henry Ohlsson, 1999.
"Asymmetric Time Series and Temporal Aggregation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 341-344, May.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Lucio Sarno & Daniel L. Thornton, 2002.
"The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: an empirical investigation,"
2000-032, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L., 2003. "The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1079-1110, June.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L, 2002. "The Dynamic Relationship Between the Federal Funds rate and the Treasury Bill Rate: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip Lowe & Thomas Rohling, 1992. "Loan Rate Stickiness: Theory and Evidence," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9206, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- M. -H. Liu & D. Margaritis & A. Tourani-Rad, 2009. "Monetary policy and interest rate rigidity in China," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(8), pages 647-657.
- Allen, Marcus T & Rutherford, Ronald C & Wiley, Marilyn K, 1999. "The Relationships between Mortgage Rates and Capital-Market Rates under Alternative Market Conditions," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 211-21, November.
- James Payne, 2007. "Interest rate pass through and asymmetries in adjustable rate mortgages," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(17), pages 1369-1376.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Jason Allen & Darcey McVanel, 2009. "Price Movements in the Canadian Residential Mortgage Market," Staff Working Papers 09-13, Bank of Canada.
- Scholnick, Barry, 1996. "Asymmetric adjustment of commercial bank interest rates: evidence from Malaysia and Singapore," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 485-496, June.
- Lim, G C, 2001. "Bank Interest Rate Adjustments: Are They Asymmetric?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(237), pages 135-47, June.
- Granger, C W J & Lee, T H, 1989. "Investigation of Production, Sales and Inventory Relationships Using Multicointegration and Non-symmetric Error Correction Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S145-59, Supplemen.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2013. "Do petrol prices rise faster than they fall when the market shows significant disequilibria?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 66-80.
- Liu, Ming-Hua & Margaritis, Dimitri & Tourani-Rad, Alireza, 2008. "Monetary policy transparency and pass-through of retail interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 501-511, April.
- Liu, Ming-Hua & Margaritis, Dimitris & Tourani-Rad, Alireza, 2011. "Asymmetric information and price competition in small business lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2189-2196, September.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Stephen Rousseas, 1985. "A Markup Theory of Bank Loan Rates," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 8(1), pages 135-144, October.
- George A. Waters & James E. Payne, 2007. "REIT markets and rational speculative bubbles: an empirical investigation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9), pages 747-753.
- Frost, Denise & Bowden, Roger, 1999. "An Asymmetry Generator for Error-Correction Mechanisms, with Application to Bank Mortgage-Rate Dynamics," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 253-63, April.
- Boris Hofmann & Paul Mizen, 2004. "Interest Rate Pass-Through and Monetary Transmission: Evidence from Individual Financial Institutions' Retail Rates," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71, pages 99-123, 02.
- Richard L. Haney, Jr., 1988. "Sticky Mortgage Rates: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(1), pages 61-73.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Heffernan, Shelagh A, 1997. "Modelling British Interest Rate Adjustment: An Error Correction Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 211-31, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:26:y:2013:i:c:p:133-151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.