The proof is in the pudding: Arbitrage is possible in limited emerging markets
We investigate whether arbitrage trades exist in emerging markets with trading barriers. Using two-year intraday data for 16 Argentinean and Egyptian depository receipts and their underlying stock, we find large intraday deviations from parity. We extend the standard arbitrage identification procedure to account for volumes and precise dynamic measures of trading costs, resulting in 9.81% and 15.32% of Argentinean and Egyptian matched trades identified as arbitrage opportunities, which we show, result in real profitable arbitrage trades. Arbitrage profits of USD 1.8 million from Argentinean and USD 1.2 million from Egyptian depository receipts were estimated over the sample period.
Volume (Year): 23 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sebastian Auguste & Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Herman Kamil & Linda L. Tesar, 2005.
"Cross-Border Trading as a Mechanism for Implicit Capital Flight: ADRs and the Argentine Crisis,"
533, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Auguste, Sebastian & Dominguez, Kathryn M.E. & Kamil, Herman & Tesar, Linda L., 2006. "Cross-border trading as a mechanism for implicit capital flight: ADRs and the Argentine crisis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1259-1295, October.
- Arturo Bris & William Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004.
"Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm327, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2005.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2007. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets Around the World," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1029-1079, 06.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm15, Yale School of Management.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2003. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm321, Yale School of Management.
- William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu & Arturo Bris, 2003. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," NBER Working Papers 9466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaul, Aditya & Mehrotra, Vikas, 2007. "The role of trades in price convergence: A study of dual-listed Canadian stocks," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 196-219, March.
- Rabinovitch, Ramon & Silva, Ana Cristina & Susmel, Raul, 2003. "Returns on ADRs and arbitrage in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 225-247, September.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 2000.
"Liquidity, Volatility, and Equity Trading Costs Across Countries and Over Time,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
322, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 2001. "Liquidity, Volatility and Equity Trading Costs across Countries and over Time," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 221-55, Summer.
- Mark Mitchell & Todd Pulvino & Erik Stafford, 2002. "Limited Arbitrage in Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 551-584, 04.
- Lagoarde-Segot, Thomas & Lucey, Brian M., 2008. "Efficiency in emerging markets--Evidence from the MENA region," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 94-105, February.
- Mauro Mecagni & Maged Sawky Sourial, 1999. "The Egyptian Stock Market; Efficiency Tests and Volatility Effects," IMF Working Papers 99/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Van Horen, Neeltje, 2009. "International financial integration through the law of one price: The role of liquidity and capital controls," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 432-463, July.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Shoesmith, Gary L. & Wood, Robert A., 1995. "Cointegration, Error Correction, and Price Discovery on Informationally Linked Security Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 563-579, December.
- Junming Hsu & Hsin-Yi Wang, 2008. "Why Do Price Spreads Between Domestic Shares And Their Adrs Vary Over Time?," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 473-491, October.
- Rosenthal, Leonard, 1983. "An empirical test of the efficiency of the ADR market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 17-29, March.
- Gagnon, Louis & Andrew Karolyi, G., 2010.
"Multi-market trading and arbitrage,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 53-80, July.
- Roman Kozhan & Wing Wah Tham, 2012. "Execution Risk in High-Frequency Arbitrage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(11), pages 2131-2149, November.
- Martín A. Rossi, 2000. "La hipótesis de eficiencia en los mercados de acciones. El caso del Mercado de Valores de Buenos Aires," Económica, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0(1), pages 37-69, January-J.
- Suarez, E. Dante, 2005. "Arbitrage opportunities in the depositary receipts market: Myth or reality?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 469-480, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:23:y:2013:i:c:p:342-357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.