Optimality of general reinsurance contracts under CTE risk measure
By formulating a constrained optimization model, we address the problem of optimal reinsurance design using the criterion of minimizing the conditional tail expectation (CTE) risk measure of the insurer's total risk. For completeness, we analyze the optimal reinsurance model under both binding and unbinding reinsurance premium constraints. By resorting to the Lagrangian approach based on the concept of directional derivative, explicit and analytical optimal solutions are obtained in each case under some mild conditions. We show that pure stop-loss ceded loss function is always optimal. More interestingly, we demonstrate that ceded loss functions, that are not always non-decreasing, could be optimal. We also show that, in some cases, it is optimal to exhaust the entire reinsurance premium budget to determine the optimal reinsurance, while in other cases, it is rational to spend less than the prescribed reinsurance premium budget.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lynn Wirch, Julia & Hardy, Mary R., 1999. "A synthesis of risk measures for capital adequacy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 337-347, December.
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2001. "Optimal reinsurance under mean-variance premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 61-67, February.
- Zhou, Chunyang & Wu, Wenfeng & Wu, Chongfeng, 2010. "Optimal insurance in the presence of insurer's loss limit," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 300-307, April.
- Hung-Hsi Huang, 2006. "Optimal insurance contract under a value-at-risk constraint," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 91-110, December.
- Gajek, Leslaw & Zagrodny, Dariusz, 2004. "Optimal reinsurance under general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Cai, Jun & Tan, Ken Seng, 2007. "Optimal Retention for a Stop-loss Reinsurance Under the VaR and CTE Risk Measures," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 93-112, May.
- Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"Expected shortfall and beyond,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1519-1533, July.
- Kahn, Paul Markham, 1961. "Some Remarks on a Recent Paper by Borch," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(05), pages 265-272, July.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5389 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2005. "Optimal reinsurance under convex principles of premium calculation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 375-398, June.
- Promislow, S.David & Young, Virginia R., 2005. "Unifying framework for optimal insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 347-364, June.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Scarsini, Marco, 2007.
"Optimal risk sharing with background risk,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 152-176, March.
- Ching-Ping Wang & David Shyu & Hung-Hsi Huang, 2005. "Optimal Insurance Design Under a Value-at-Risk Framework," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 161-179, December.
- Carlier, G. & Dana, R.-A., 2005. "Rearrangement inequalities in non-convex insurance models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4-5), pages 483-503, August.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Gajek, Leslaw & Zagrodny, Dariusz, 2000. "Insurer's optimal reinsurance strategies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 105-112, August.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Beatriz & Heras, Antonio, 2009. "Optimal reinsurance with general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 374-384, June.
- Carole Bernard & Weidong Tian, 2009. "Optimal Reinsurance Arrangements Under Tail Risk Measures," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 709-725.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5394 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhou, Chunyang & Wu, Chongfeng, 2008. "Optimal insurance under the insurer's risk constraint," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 992-999, June.
- Cai, Jun & Tan, Ken Seng & Weng, Chengguo & Zhang, Yi, 2008. "Optimal reinsurance under VaR and CTE risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 185-196, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:49:y:2011:i:2:p:175-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.