Optimal reinsurance under variance related premium principles
In this paper, we investigate the optimal form of reinsurance when the insurer seeks to minimize the value at risk(VaR) or the conditional value at risk(CVaR) of his/her total risk exposure. In order to exclude the moral hazard from a reinsurance treaty, both the ceded and retained loss functions are constrained to be increasing. Under the additional assumption that the reinsurance premium is calculated by a variance related principle, we show that the layer reinsurance is always optimal over both the VaR and CVaR criteria. Finally, the variance and standard deviation premium principles are applied to illustrate how to derive the optimal deductible and the upper limit of layer reinsurance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 51 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2001. "Optimal reinsurance under mean-variance premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 61-67, February.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2005. "Optimal reinsurance under convex principles of premium calculation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 375-398, June.
- Guerra, Manuel & Centeno, Maria de Lourdes, 2010. "Optimal Reinsurance for Variance Related Premium Calculation Principles," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 97-121, May.
- Carole Bernard & Weidong Tian, 2009. "Optimal Reinsurance Arrangements Under Tail Risk Measures," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 709-725.
- Deprez, Olivier & Gerber, Hans U., 1985. "On convex principles of premium calculation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 179-189, July.
- Cai, Jun & Tan, Ken Seng & Weng, Chengguo & Zhang, Yi, 2008. "Optimal reinsurance under VaR and CTE risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 185-196, August.
- Cai, Jun & Tan, Ken Seng, 2007. "Optimal Retention for a Stop-loss Reinsurance Under the VaR and CTE Risk Measures," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 93-112, May.
- Guerra, Manuel & Centeno, M.L., 2012. "Are quantile risk measures suitable for risk-transfer decisions?," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 446-461.
- Chi, Yichun & Tan, Ken Seng, 2011. "Optimal Reinsurance under VaR and CVaR Risk Measures: a Simplified Approach," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(02), pages 487-509, November.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Beatriz & Heras, Antonio, 2009. "Optimal reinsurance with general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 374-384, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:51:y:2012:i:2:p:310-321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.