Optimal reinsurance under VaR and CTE risk measures
Let X denote the loss initially assumed by an insurer. In a reinsurance design, the insurer cedes part of its loss, say f(X), to a reinsurer, and thus the insurer retains a loss If(X)=X-f(X). In return, the insurer is obligated to compensate the reinsurer for undertaking the risk by paying the reinsurance premium. Hence, the sum of the retained loss and the reinsurance premium can be interpreted as the total cost of managing the risk in the presence of reinsurance. Based on a technique used in [Müller, A., Stoyan, D., 2002. Comparison Methods for Stochastic Models and Risks. In: Willey Series in Probability and Statistics] and motivated by [Cai J., Tan K.S., 2007. Optimal retention for a stop-loss reinsurance under the VaR and CTE risk measure. Astin Bull. 37 (1), 93-112] on using the value-at-risk (VaR) and the conditional tail expectation (CTE) of an insurer's total cost as the criteria for determining the optimal reinsurance, this paper derives the optimal ceded loss functions in a class of increasing convex ceded loss functions. The results indicate that depending on the risk measure's level of confidence and the safety loading for the reinsurance premium, the optimal reinsurance can be in the forms of stop-loss, quota-share, or change-loss.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gajek, Leslaw & Zagrodny, Dariusz, 2004. "Optimal reinsurance under general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alexander, 2001.
"Value-at-Risk-Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 371-405.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, "undated". "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alexander Shapiro, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, "undated". "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Yamai, Yasuhiro & Yoshiba, Toshinao, 2005. "Value-at-risk versus expected shortfall: A practical perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 997-1015, April.
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2001. "Optimal reinsurance under mean-variance premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 61-67, February.
- Cai, Jun & Tan, Ken Seng, 2007. "Optimal Retention for a Stop-loss Reinsurance Under the VaR and CTE Risk Measures," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 93-112, May.
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2005. "Optimal reinsurance under convex principles of premium calculation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 375-398, June.
- Inui, Koji & Kijima, Masaaki, 2005. "On the significance of expected shortfall as a coherent risk measure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 853-864, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:43:y:2008:i:1:p:185-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.