Competition in interrelated markets: An empirical study
This paper studies competition in small, concentrated and inter- related markets. Our data set consists of price information fron 543 driving schools in 250 local markets in sweden, which gives a large sample to test hypotheses on how market structure influences competition. The results show that if prices in nearby markets are low, and the distances to them are short, it reduces prices, as suggested in models of spatial competition. Moreover, we find that prices in closely located markets are interdependent. It is also shown that prices are increasing in firm concentration within a market, as most theories of oligopoly predict.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Working papers 1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-86, August.
- Claycombe, Richard J., 1991. "Spatial retail markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 303-313, June.
- Startz, Richard, 1983. "Computation of linear hypothesis tests for two-stage least squares," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 129-131.
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1995.
"Competition in Interrelated Markets: An Empirical Study,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
84, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1999. "Competition in interrelated markets: An empirical study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 353-369, April.
- Claycombe, Richard J. & Mahan, Tamara E., 1993. "Spatial aspects of retail market structure beef pricing revisited," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 283-291, June.
- Curtis Eaton, B. & Lipsey, Richard G., 1989. "Product differentiation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 723-768 Elsevier.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Marvel, Howard P, 1978. "Competition and Price Levels in the Retail Gasoline Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 252-58, May.
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:17:y:1999:i:3:p:353-369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.