Sources of opportunities used by growth minded owner managers of small and medium sized enterprises
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the sources and nature of opportunities used by owner-managers of small and medium size (SMEs) firms in order to grow their businesses. In addition to the owner-manager's desire for growth, clearly there needs to be both opportunities to pursue and sufficient management activities that will discover such opportunities, so that a business can grow. These opportunities may originate through some form of environmental change such as advances in technology or by exploiting changes in the marketplace, for example, the exit of a competitor.
Volume (Year): 22 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Knight, Gary A., 1997. "Cross-cultural reliability and validity of a scale to measure firm entrepreneurial orientation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 213-225, May.
- Gaglio, Connie Marie & Katz, Jerome A, 2001. "The Psychological Basis of Opportunity Identification: Entrepreneurial Alertness," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 95-111, March.
- Jeffery S. McMullen & Lawrence A. Plummer & Zoltan J. Acs, 2007.
"What is an Entrepreneurial Opportunity?,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2007-10, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Gilmore, Audrey & Carson, David & Rocks, Steve, 2006. "Networking in SMEs: Evaluating its contribution to marketing activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 278-293, June.
- Pamela Mueller, 2007. "Exploiting Entrepreneurial Opportunities: The Impact of Entrepreneurship on Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 355-362, April.
- Sarason, Yolanda & Dean, Tom & Dillard, Jesse F., 2006. "Entrepreneurship as the nexus of individual and opportunity: A structuration view," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 286-305, May.
- Crick, Dave & Spence, Martine, 2005. "The internationalisation of 'high performing' UK high-tech SMEs: a study of planned and unplanned strategies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 167-185, April.
- Andersson, P., 2002. "Connected internationalisation processes: the case of internationalising channel intermediaries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 365-383, June.
- Niels Bosma & Sander Wennekers, 2002. "Entrepreneurship Under Pressure," Scales Research Reports A200205, EIM Business and Policy Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:22:y:2013:i:1:p:293-303. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.