A conceptualization of e-risk perceptions and implications for small firm active online internationalization
A sound conceptualization of international e-risks has grown in demand, because of the increasing penetration of the Internet, and specifically the enabling-facility of the Internet technology for small firms. Yet, to date, there has been no study explicitly attempting to build an international business risk framework for the online environment, nor to explain online internationalization decisions. The purpose of the present paper is threefold, (1) to combine and complement the existing traditional international risk constructs and the emerging views on e-business risks into a comprehensive and unified international risk framework for the online context; (2) to develop propositions regarding SMEs' active online internationalization decisions by drawing on Dunning's OLI framework; and (3) to explore the online-offline risk trade-off inherent in online internationalization decisions by integrating the e-risk framework into the eclectic paradigm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maureen M.J. Berry & Jürgen Kai-Uwe Brock, 2004. "Marketspace and the Internationalisation Process of the Small Firm," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 187-216, 09.
- Yamin, Mohammad & Sinkovics, Rudolf R., 2006. "Online internationalisation, psychic distance reduction and the virtuality trap," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 339-360, August.
- Forsgren, M., 2002. "The concept of learning in the Uppsala internationalization process model: a critical review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-277, June.
- Brouthers, Keith D. & Brouthers, Lance Eliot & Werner, Steve, 1996. "Dunning's eclectic theory and the smaller firm: The impact of ownership and locational advantages on the choice of entry-modes in the computer software industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 377-394, August.
- Farok J Contractor, 1984. "Choosing Between Direct Investment and Licensing: Theoretical Considerations and Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(3), pages 167-188, September.
- Stephen J Kobrin, 2001. "Territoriality and the Governance of Cyberspace," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 687-704, December.
- Mariea Hoy & May Lwin, 2008. "An International Perspective of Online Disclosure Presentation: A Comparison of Banner Ad Disclosures from United States, United Kingdom, and Singapore Web Sites," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 327-347, September.
- Srilata Zaheer & Shalini Manrakhan, 2001. "Concentration and Dispersion in Global Industries: Remote Electronic Access and the Location of Economic Activities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 667-686, December.
- Howard S. Rasheed, 2009. "Contrasting E-Commerce Business Models: Performance Implications For Small Enterprises," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(01), pages 89-101.
- Lance Eliot Brouthers & Keith D Brouthers & Steve Werner, 1999. "Is Dunning's Eclectic Framework Descriptive Or Normative?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(4), pages 831-844, December.
- Ahmed, Zafar U. & Mohamad, Osman & Tan, Brian & Johnson, James P., 2002. "International risk perceptions and mode of entry: a case study of Malaysian multinational firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(10), pages 805-813, October.
- Primo Braga, Carlos A., 2005. "E-commerce regulation: New game, new rules?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 541-558, May.
- Subramanian Rangan & Metin Sengul, 2009. "Information technology and transnational integration: Theory and evidence on the evolution of the modern multinational enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(9), pages 1496-1514, December.
- Hadjikhani, Amjad & Johanson, Jan, 2002. "Special issue on the internationalization process of the firm," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 253-255, June.
- Petersen, Bent & Welch, Lawrence S. & Liesch, Peter, 2002. "The Internet And Foreign Market Expansion By Firms," Working Papers 7-2002, Copenhagen Business School, Department of International Economics and Management.
- Kent D Miller, 1992. "A Framework for Integrated Risk Management in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 311-331, June.
- Oetzel, Jennifer, 2005. "Smaller may be beautiful but is it more risky? Assessing and managing political and economic risk in Costa Rica," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 765-790, December.
- Ruey-Jer (Bryan) Jean & Rudolf R Sinkovics & S Tamer Cavusgil, 2010. "Enhancing international customer–supplier relationships through IT resources: A study of Taiwanese electronics suppliers," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(7), pages 1218-1239, September.
- Stephen J Kobrin, 1979. "Political Risk: A Review and Reconsideration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(1), pages 67-80, March.
- John Dunning, 2001. "The Eclectic (OLI) Paradigm of International Production: Past, Present and Future," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 173-190.
- Kai H Lim & Kwok Leung & Choon Ling Sia & Matthew KO Lee, 2004. "Is eCommerce boundary-less? Effects of individualism–collectivism and uncertainty avoidance on Internet shopping," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(6), pages 545-559, November.
- Guillen, Mauro F., 2002. "What is the best global strategy for the Internet?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 39-46.
- Soenen, Luc A, 1979. "A portfolio model for foreign exchange exposure management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 339-344.
- Nagurney, Anna & Matsypura, Dmytro, 2005. "Global supply chain network dynamics with multicriteria decision-making under risk and uncertainty," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 585-612, November.
- Pennathur, Anita K., 2001. ""Clicks and bricks":: e-Risk Management for banks in the age of the Internet," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 2103-2123, November.
- Roman Beck, 2008. "Designing Reputation and Trust Management Systems," Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations (JECO), IGI Global, vol. 6(4), pages 8-29, October.
- Jos� de la Torre & Richard W Moxon, 2001. "Introduction to the Symposium E-Commerce and Global Business: The Impact of the Information and Communication Technology Revolution on the Conduct of International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 617-639, December.
- Davies, Warnock, 1981. "Beyond the earthquake allegory: Managing political risk vulnerability," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 39-43.
- William Wresch, 2003. "Initial E-Commerce Efforts in Nine Least Developed Countries: A Review of National Infrastructure, Business Approaches, and Product Selection," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 11(2), pages 67-78, April.
- Andonova, Veneta, 2006. "Mobile phones, the Internet and the institutional environment," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Rudolf Sinkovics & Elfriede Penz, 2005. "Empowerment of SME websites—Development of a web-empowerment scale and preliminary evidence," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 303-315, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:20:y:2011:i:4:p:409-422. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.