The use of meta-analysis in international business research: Its current status and suggestions for better practice
A major goal of scientific disciplines is to build cumulative knowledge across numerous lines of inquiry. Traditionally, attempts to summarize the findings of these different lines of inquiry have been achieved through narrative and integrative reviews. The advent of meta-analysis in the late 1970s gave researchers a more sophisticated approach to summarize, evaluate, and analyze quantitative research findings. In this paper, we investigate how frequently meta-analytic synthesis techniques have been used in the international business literature over the last thirty years. Moreover, this paper (a) provides an overview of the meta-analytic research process, (b) examines the role that meta-analysis has played in the synthesis of research in international business, and (c) suggests guidelines for future applications of this technique in efforts to detail how meta-analytic approaches can further enhance knowledge development in our field.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Steven P & Stayman, Douglas M, 1992. " Antecedents and Consequences of Attitude toward the Ad: A Meta-analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 34-51, June.
- Ronald Fischer & Angela Mansell, 2009. "Commitment across cultures: A meta-analytical approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(8), pages 1339-1358, October.
- T. D. Stanley, 2001. "Wheat from Chaff: Meta-analysis as Quantitative Literature Review," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 131-150, Summer.
- Laszlo Tihanyi & David A Griffith & Craig J Russell, 2005. "The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 270-283, May.
- Mike W Peng, 2004. "Identifying the big question in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 99-108, March.
- Frank L DuBois & David Reeb, 2000. "Ranking the International Business Journals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 689-704, December.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:2000123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter J Buckley, 2002. "Is the International Business Research Agenda Running Out of Steam?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 365-373, June.
- Hongxin Zhao & Yadong Luo & Taewon Suh, 2004. "Transaction cost determinants and ownership-based entry mode choice: a meta-analytical review," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(6), pages 524-544, November.
- Paul D. Ellis, 2006. "Market Orientation and Performance: A Meta-Analysis and Cross-National Comparisons," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(5), pages 1089-1107, 07.
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
- Robert A Peterson & Alain J P Jolibert, 1995. "A Meta-Analysis of Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 883-900, December.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-284201 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:19:y:2010:i:3:p:306-314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.