Skills and complexity in management of IJVs: Exploring Swedish managers' experiences in China
Recent Chinese growth and development has had a tremendous impact on the world economy, especially in terms of the absorption of a significant amount of global foreign direct investment (FDI). Most of this FDI has taken the form of joint ventures between local and foreign firms. Some researchers typically see this as a race by local firms to learn from and eventually outperform foreign firms. The aim of this paper is to explore the evolving experiences, concerning acquired knowledge, resourcing, and control activities, of managers in Sino-Swedish joint ventures. For this purpose, a theoretical framework based on Buckley, P. J., Glaister, K. W., and Husa, R. [(2002). International Joint Ventures: Partnering skills and cross-cultural issues. Long Range Planning, 35, 113-134] and Child, J., and Yan, Y. [(2003). Predicting the performance of International Joint Ventures: An investigation in China. Journal of Management Studies, 40(2)] is developed. Within this framework--The Actor Oriented Approach--four propositions emerge. These are then tested against nine Swedish cases in China. The cases are based on data from a study of Swedish expatriate CEOs. Based on the findings a five stage, sequential approach to foreign firm entry and evolution into foreign markets is constructed. The paper concludes with a discussion of the model's more general applicability and suggestions for further research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kent Eriksson & Jan Johanson & Anders Majkgård & D Deo Sharma, 1997. "Experimental Knowledge and Costs in the Internationalization Process," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(2), pages 337-360, June.
- Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, 1985. "Control: Organizational and Economic Approaches," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(2), pages 134-149, February.
- John Child & Yanni Yan, 2003. "Predicting the Performance of International Joint Ventures: An Investigation in China," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 283-320, 03.
- Yadong Luo & Mike W Peng, 1999. "Learning to Compete in a Transition Economy: Experience, Environment, and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 269-295, June.
- Andersson, Ulf & Björkman, Ingmar & Forsgren, Mats, 2005. "Managing subsidiary knowledge creation: The effect of control mechanisms on subsidiary local embeddedness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 521-538, October.
- Smith, Peter B. & Andersen, Jon Aarum & Ekelund, Bjørn & Graversen, Gert & Ropo, Arja, 2003. "In search of Nordic management styles," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 491-507, December.
- Groot, Tom L. C. M. & Merchant, Kenneth A., 2000. "Control of international joint ventures," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 579-607, August.
- Pettigrew, Andrew M., 1997. "What is a processual analysis?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 337-348, December.
- Carlsson, Johan & Nordegren, Axel & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2004.
"International Experience and the Performance of Scandinavian Firms in China,"
EIJS Working Paper Series
188, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Carlsson, Johan & Nordegren, Axel & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2005. "International experience and the performance of Scandinavian firms in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 21-40, February.
- William G. Ouchi, 1979. "A Conceptual Framework for the Design of Organizational Control Mechanisms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(9), pages 833-848, September.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Westerberg, Mats & Singh, Jagdip & Häckner, Einar, 1997. "Does the CEO matter? An empirical study of small Swedish firms operating in turbulent environments," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 251-270, September.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Forsgren, M., 2002. "The concept of learning in the Uppsala internationalization process model: a critical review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-277, June.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Models of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 21-44, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:16:y:2007:i:2:p:229-250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.