Critical urban areas, deprived areas and neighbourhood effects on health in France
Since the 1980s, different French governments have formulated public policies aimed at taking into account the specific problems of deprived neighbourhoods. The aim of this paper is to determinate the existence of a neighbourhood effect on health and to discuss the implementation of a geographical index of deprived areas in France. Using the National Health Survey of 2002–2003 and 1999 French census data, we attempt to measure the individual and collective determinants of Self-Reported Health Status (SRH). By using a principal component analysis of aggregated census data, we obtain three synthetic factors: “economic and social condition”, “residential stability” and “generational”, and show that these contextual factors are correlated with individual SRH. Our research shows that health inequalities cannot be tackled by using only the Critical Urban Area criterion (the fact of living in a CUA or not) because some inequalities remain ignored and thus, hidden. We suggest a methodology to build a new health deprivation index allowing to better target health inequalities.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaronson, Daniel, 2001. "Neighborhood Dynamics," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Kamhon Kan, 2006.
"Residential Mobility and Social Capital,"
IEAS Working Paper : academic research
06-A005, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Deri, Catherine, 2005. "Social networks and health service utilization," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1076-1107, November.
- Duncan, Craig & Jones, Kelvyn & Moon, Graham, 1996. "Health-related behaviour in context: A multilevel modelling approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 817-830, March.
- Eibner, Christine & Sturm, Roland, 2006. "US-based indices of area-level deprivation: Results from HealthCare for Communities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 348-359, January.
- Oakes, J. Michael, 2004. "The (mis)estimation of neighborhood effects: causal inference for a practicable social epidemiology," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1929-1952, May.
- Subramanian, S. V. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P., 2001. "Does the state you live in make a difference? Multilevel analysis of self-rated health in the US," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 9-19, July.
- Subramanian, S. V., 2004. "The relevance of multilevel statistical methods for identifying causal neighborhood effects," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1961-1967, May.
- Flowerdew, Robin & Manley, David J. & Sabel, Clive E., 2008. "Neighbourhood effects on health: Does it matter where you draw the boundaries?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1255, March.
- Ayala, Luis & Navarro, Carolina, 2007. "The dynamics of housing deprivation," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 72-97, March.
- Juhász, Attila & Nagy, Csilla & Páldy, Anna & Beale, Linda, 2010. "Development of a Deprivation Index and its relation to premature mortality due to diseases of the circulatory system in Hungary, 1998-2004," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1342-1349, May.
- Veenstra, Gerry & Luginaah, Isaac & Wakefield, Sarah & Birch, Stephen & Eyles, John & Elliott, Susan, 2005. "Who you know, where you live: social capital, neighbourhood and health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(12), pages 2799-2818, June.
- Fagg, James & Curtis, Sarah & Stansfeld, Stephen & Congdon, Peter, 2006. "Psychological distress among adolescents, and its relationship to individual, family and area characteristics in East London," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 636-648, August.
- Havard, Sabrina & Deguen, Séverine & Bodin, Julie & Louis, Karine & Laurent, Olivier & Bard, Denis, 2008. "A small-area index of socioeconomic deprivation to capture health inequalities in France," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(12), pages 2007-2016, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:105:y:2012:i:1:p:92-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.