Auctions with a profit sharing contract
An auction is used to sell a resource that is then developed by the winning buyer to generate a profit. Two forms of payment are considered: (i) charging the winning buyer a one-time payment; (ii) charging an initial payment followed by a profit sharing contract (PSC) that divides the realized profit between the seller and the winning buyer. A symmetric interdependent values model with a risk neutral seller and either risk averse or risk neutral buyers is considered, along with the second price and English auctions. The properties of those PSCs in which either positive profits or both profits and losses are split according to a fixed fraction are studied. The sellerʼs expected revenue is shown to be larger in a class of general PSCs with nontrivial profit sharing than in an auction with only a one-time payment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert H. Porter, 1992.
"The Role of Information in U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions,"
1008, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Porter, Robert H, 1995. "The Role of Information in U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Robert H. Porter, 1992. "The Role of Information in U.S. Offshore Oil and Gas Lease Auctions," NBER Working Papers 4185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Robert G, 1985. "Auctions with Contingent Payments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 862-865, September.
- Claudio Mezzetti, 2005.
"Mechanism Design with Interdependent Valuations: Surplus Extraction,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
05/1, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Mar 2006.
- Claudio Mezzetti, 2007. "Mechanism Design with Interdependent Valuations: Surplus Extraction," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 31(3), pages 473-488, June.
- Krishna, Vijay, 2002. "Auction Theory," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780124262973.
- John G. Riley, 1988. "Ex Post Information in Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(3), pages 409-429.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2005.
"Bidding with Securities: Auctions and Security Design,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 936-959, September.
- Andrzej Skrzypacz & Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer, 2004. "Bidding with Securities: Auctions and Security Design," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 637, Econometric Society.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2004. "Bidding With Securities: Auctions and Security Design," NBER Working Papers 10891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrzej Skrzypacz & Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer, 2004. "Bidding with Securities: Auctions and Security Design," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 641, Econometric Society.
- Peter Cramton, 1997.
"The FCC Spectrum Auctions: An Early Assessment,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
97jemsfcc, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 12 Jul 1998.
- Veronika Grimm & Ulrich Schmidt, 2000. "Revenue equivalence and income taxation," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 24(1), pages 56-63, March.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1987.
"Auctioning Incentive Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 921-937, October.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John & Reny, Philip J, 1989. "Extracting the Surplus in the Common-Value Auction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1451-1459, November.
- Milgrom,Paul, 2004.
"Putting Auction Theory to Work,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521551847, December.
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Haile, Philip A. & Riley, John G., 2002.
"Symmetric Separating Equilibria in English Auctions,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Bikhchandani,S. & Haile,P.A. & Riley,J.G., 2000. "Symmetric separating equilibria in English auctions," Working papers 17R, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1986. "Bidding for Contracts: A Principal-Agent Analysis," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 326-338, Autumn.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1985. "Optimal Selling Strategies under Uncertainty for a Discriminating Monopolist When Demands Are Interdependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 345-361, March.
- Peter Cramton, 2009. "How Best to Auction Natural Resources," Papers of Peter Cramton 09anr, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 2009.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1988. "Full Extraction of the Surplus in Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1247-1257, November.
- McAfee, R Preston & Reny, Philip J, 1992. "Correlated Information and Mechanism Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 395-421, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:gamebe:v:77:y:2013:i:1:p:247-270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.