The effect of TARP on bank risk-taking
One of the largest responses of the US government to the recent financial crisis was the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). TARP was originally intended to stabilize the financial sector through the increased capitalization of banks. However, recipients of TARP funds were then encouraged to make additional loans despite increased borrower risk. In this paper, we consider the effect of the TARP capital injections on bank risk-taking by analyzing the risk ratings of banks’ commercial loan originations during the crisis. The results indicate that, relative to non-TARP banks, the risk of loan originations increased at large TARP banks but decreased at small TARP banks. Loan levels also moved in different directions for large and small banks and, in supporting evidence, these effects are evaluated based on loan size and TARP repayment. For large banks, the increase in risk-taking without an increase in lending is suggestive of moral hazard due to government support. These results may also be due to the conflicting goals of the TARP program for bank recapitalization and bank lending.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004.
"Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6686, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2004. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," Research Department Publications 4385, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Micco, Alejandro & Panizza, Ugo, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," POLIS Working Papers 61, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza, 2006. "Bank Ownership and Lending Behavior," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 369, Central Bank of Chile.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008.
"Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010. "Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Rüdiger Fahlenbrach & René M. Stulz, 2009.
"Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15212, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rüdiger FAHLENBRACH & René M. STULZ, . "Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-27, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Fahlenbach, Rudiger & Stulz, Rene M., 2009. "Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis," Working Paper Series 2009-13, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jose A. Lopez & Jesús Saurina, 2010.
"How Does Competition Impact Bank Risk-Taking?,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
1005, Banco de Espa�a.
- Murillo Campello, 2002. "Internal Capital Markets in Financial Conglomerates: Evidence from Small Bank Responses to Monetary Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2773-2805, December.
- Gonzalez, Francisco, 2005. "Bank regulation and risk-taking incentives: An international comparison of bank risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1153-1184, May.
- Ivashina, Victoria & Scharfstein, David, 2010. "Bank lending during the financial crisis of 2008," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 319-338, September.
- John, Kose & John, Teresa A., 2006. "Managerial incentives, derivatives and stability," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 71-94, April.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999.
"Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1998. "Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking," Proceedings 582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Terhi Jokipii & Alistair Milne, 2009.
"Bank Capital Buffer and Risk Adjustment Decisions,"
2009-09, Swiss National Bank.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2009.
"Bank governance, regulation and risk taking,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 259-275, August.
- Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2003. "Deregulation, market power and risk behaviour in Spanish banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 1061-1075, December.
- Kane, Edward J. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 2004. "Alternatives to blanket guarantees for containing a systemic crisis," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 31-63, September.
- Linus Wilson & Yan Wu, 2010. "Common (stock) sense about risk-shifting and bank bailouts," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Evan Gatev & Philip E. Strahan, 2006. "Banks' Advantage in Hedging Liquidity Risk: Theory and Evidence from the Commercial Paper Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 867-892, 04.
- Wilson, Linus & Wu, Yan Wendy, 2012. "Escaping TARP," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 32-42.
- Berger, A.N. & Bouwman, C.H.S. & Kick, T. & Schaeck, K., 2011. "Bank risk taking and liquidity creation following regulatory interventions and capital support," Discussion Paper 2011-088, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Güner, A. Burak, 2008. "Bank lending opportunities and credit standards," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 62-87, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finsta:v:9:y:2013:i:4:p:790-803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.