Synthetizing a debt guarantee: Super-replication versus utility approach
This paper compares two strategies for replicating a put option used to synthetize a debt guarantee contract. The first strategy, super-replication, while maintaining the portfolio value greater or equal to a target value, minimizes the transaction cost of replicating a debt insurance put option by using dynamic linear programming. The second strategy replicates this put option by maximizing the guarantor's expected utility. A comparative study shows that both strategies give better results than the Leland (1985) method. If we use a risk-adjusted performance metric, the utility-based method performs best when transaction costs are relatively low. When transaction costs are relatively high, the two strategies yield similar results and still outperform Leland's.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Batten, Jonathan & Hogan, Warren, 2002. "Erratum to "A perspective on credit derivatives"," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 249-249.
- Clewlow, Les & Hodges, Stewart, 1997. "Optimal delta-hedging under transactions costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1353-1376, June.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- Byström , Hans & Worasinchai , Lugkana & Chongsithipol , Srisuda, 2004.
"Default Risk, Systematic Risk and Thai Firms Before, During and After the Asian Crisis,"
2005:5, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans & Worasinchai, Lugkana & Chongsithipol, Srisuda, 2005. "Default risk, systematic risk and Thai firms before, during and after the Asian crisis," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 95-110, March.
- Breitenfellner, Bastian & Wagner, Niklas, 2010. "Government intervention in response to the subprime financial crisis: The good into the pot, the bad into the crop," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 289-297, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Lynn Wirch, Julia & Hardy, Mary R., 1999. "A synthesis of risk measures for capital adequacy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 337-347, December.
- Zakamouline, Valeri I., 2006. "European option pricing and hedging with both fixed and proportional transaction costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Puustelli, Anne & Koskinen, Lasse & Luoma, Arto, 2008. "Bayesian modelling of financial guarantee insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 245-254, October.
- Lai, Van Son & Soumaré, Issouf, 2010. "Credit insurance and investment: A contingent claims analysis approach," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 98-107, March.
- Barbedo, Claudio Henrique da Silveira & Lemgruber, Eduardo Facó, 2009. "A down-and-out exchange option model with jumps to evaluate firms' default probabilities in Brazil," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 179-190, September.
- Batten, Jonathan & Hogan, Warren, 2002. "A perspective on credit derivatives," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 251-278.
- Skinner, Frank S. & Townend, Timothy G., 2002. "An empirical analysis of credit default swaps," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-309.
- Edirisinghe, Chanaka & Naik, Vasanttilak & Uppal, Raman, 1993. "Optimal Replication of Options with Transactions Costs and Trading Restrictions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 117-138, March.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984.
"Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985. " Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Van Son Lai & Michel Gendron, 1994. "On Financial Guarantee Insurance under Stochastic Interest Rates," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 119-137, December.
- E. R. Grannan & G. H. Swindle, 1996. "Minimizing Transaction Costs Of Option Hedging Strategies," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 341-364.
- A. E. Whalley & P. Wilmott, 1997. "An Asymptotic Analysis of an Optimal Hedging Model for Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 307-324.
- Lionel Martellini, 2000. "Efficient Option Replication in the Presence of Transactions Costs," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 107-131, May.
- Monoyios, Michael, 2004. "Option pricing with transaction costs using a Markov chain approximation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 889-913, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:20:y:2011:i:1:p:27-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.