Entrepreneurial behavior in family firms: A replication study
This study examines the entrepreneurial behavior of family firms by replicating a study undertaken in 2006 by Kellermanns and Eddleston [Kellermanns, F. W., & Eddleston, K. A. (2006). Corporate Entrepreneurship in Family Firms: A Family Perspective, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 30, pp. 809–830.]. Employing an extended replication-approach by applying a different national sample (n=413) from Austria, the relations between four distinct factors – willingness to change, generational involvement, perceived technological opportunities, and strategic planning – and the entrepreneurial behavior of family firms are examined, with the goal to extend the generalization of the original study's findings. Compared to the original study, the replication's results coincide in most parts. However, regarding the relation between strategic planning efforts and entrepreneurial behavior, the replication provides new insights into the entrepreneurial behavior of family firms by stressing the importance of considering organizational size in family-firm research. Accordingly, strategic planning in small family firms seems to comprise a certain ‘entrepreneurial spirit’ that directly influences the extent of their entrepreneurial behavior.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aldrich, Howard E. & Cliff, Jennifer E., 2003. "The pervasive effects of family on entrepreneurship: toward a family embeddedness perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 573-596, September.
- Kimberly A. Eddleston & Franz Willi Kellermanns & Ravi Sarathy, 2008. "Resource Configuration in Family Firms: Linking Resources, Strategic Planning and Technological Opportunities to Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 26-50, 01.
- Xavier, CASTANER & Mikko, KETOKIVI, 2003. "Planning as an integrative device," Les Cahiers de Recherche 775, HEC Paris.
- G. Marchisio & P. Mazzola & S. Sciascia & M. Miles & J. Astrachan, 2010. "Corporate venturing in family business: The effects on the family and its members," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(3-4), pages 349-377, May.
- Zellweger, Thomas M. & Eddleston, Kimberly A. & Kellermanns, Franz W., 2010. "Exploring the concept of familiness: Introducing family firm identity," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 54-63, March.
- G.T. Lumpkin & Keith H. Brigham & Todd W. Moss, 2010. "Long-term orientation: Implications for the entrepreneurial orientation and performance of family businesses," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(3-4), pages 241-264, May.
- Frank Hermann & Alexander Kessler & Matthias Fink, 2010. "Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance – A Replication Study," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 62(2), pages 175-198, April.
- Webb, Justin W. & Ketchen Jr., David J. & Ireland, R. Duane, 2010. "Strategic entrepreneurship within family-controlled firms: Opportunities and challenges," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 67-77, June.
- Mattias Nordqvist & Leif Melin, 2010. "Entrepreneurial families and family firms," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(3-4), pages 211-239, May.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Frank, Hermann & Lueger, Manfred & Nosé, Lavinia & Suchy, Daniela, 2010. "The concept of "Familiness": Literature review and systems theory-based reflections," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 119-130, September.
- Evanschitzky, Heiner & Baumgarth, Carsten & Hubbard, Raymond & Armstrong, J. Scott, 2007. "Replication research's disturbing trend," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 411-415, April.
- Easley, Richard W. & Madden, Charles S. & Dunn, Mark G., 2000. "Conducting Marketing Science: The Role of Replication in the Research Process," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 83-92, April.
- Casillas, José C. & Moreno, Ana M. & Barbero, José L., 2011. "Entrepreneurial orientation of family firms: Family and environmental dimensions," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 90-100, June.
- Miller, Danny & Steier, Lloyd & Le Breton-Miller, Isabelle, 2003. "Lost in time: intergenerational succession, change, and failure in family business," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 513-531, July.
- Lindow, Corinna M. & Stubner, Stephan & Wulf, Torsten, 2010. "Strategic fit within family firms: The role of family influence and the effect on performance," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 167-178, September.
- Rogoff, Edward G. & Heck, Ramona Kay Zachary, 2003. "Evolving research in entrepreneurship and family business: recognizing family as the oxygen that feeds the fire of entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 559-566, September.
- Knight, Gary A., 1997. "Cross-cultural reliability and validity of a scale to measure firm entrepreneurial orientation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 213-225, May.
- Astrachan, Joseph H., 2010. "Strategy in family business: Toward a multidimensional research agenda," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 6-14, March.
- Chrisman, James J. & Chua, Jess H. & Steier, Lloyd P., 2003. "An introduction to theories of family business," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 441-448, July.
- Habbershon, Timothy G. & Williams, Mary & MacMillan, Ian C., 2003. "A unified systems perspective of family firm performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 451-465, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:fambus:v:2:y:2011:i:3:p:128-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.