Relationship between perceived improvement and treatment satisfaction among clients of a methadone maintenance program
Purpose The objective of this study was to evaluate the relationship between perceived improvement and client satisfaction in a methadone maintenance treatment population. A secondary objective was to evaluate the psychometric properties of the Perceived Improvement Questionnaire (PIQ).Data sources/study setting Two hundred and thirty-two clients of a methadone maintenance treatment program filled out self-reported questionnaires and two open-ended questions measuring their perceived improvement and their level of satisfaction with the services received.Principal findings Correlation analyses revealed a significant relationship between participants' perceived improvement and their level of satisfaction with services received throughout their treatment. A factor analysis identified 3 sub-scales of the PIQ: emotional health, social relations and physical health. The PIQ's internal consistency and construct validity supported the adequacy of the metric properties of the questionnaire.Conclusion Further research is needed to investigate the link between clients' input and treatment satisfaction in different substance abuse populations. The scale's potential to provide valuable information such as clinical assessment and program evaluation should be explored.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tanner, Barry A., 1982. "A multi-dimensional client satisfaction instrument," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 161-167, January.
- Perreault, Michel & Leichner, Pierre & sabourin, stephane & gendreau, pierre, 1993. "Patient satisfaction with outpatient psychiatric services : Qualitative and quantitative assessments," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 109-118.
- Garland, Ann F. & Saltzman, Marla D. & Aarons, Gregory A., 2000. "Adolescent satisfaction with mental health services: development of a multidimensional scale," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 165-175, May.
- Larsen, Daniel L. & Attkisson, C. Clifford & Hargreaves, William A. & Nguyen, Tuan D., 1979. "Assessment of client/patient satisfaction: Development of a general scale," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 197-207, January.
- Greenfield, Thomas K. & Attkisson, C. Clifford, 1989. "Steps toward a multifactorial satisfaction scale for primary care and mental health services," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 271-278, January.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:epplan:v:33:y:2010:i:4:p:410-417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.