Implementation of a biomass-fired co-generation plant supplied with an ORC (Organic Rankine Cycle) as a heat source for small scale heat distribution system – A comparative analysis under Polish and German conditions
Technical and economic analysis of construction of an ORC (Organic Rankine Cycle) cogeneration plant under Polish and German conditions is the subject of the paper. The analyzed plant consists of an ORC module or a CHP (Combined Heat and Power) gas engine unit and gas boilers. Taking into account different technical configurations (operating mode as well as capacity due to different sizing of the units) on one side, and different financial support mechanisms (mainly on the operating level) on the other side, the comparative cost-benefits analysis has been made. On the basis of the technical analysis, the basic economical indexes: NPV (net present value) and payback times have been derived for each analyzed scenario and the results have been compared and discussed. The sensitivity of NPV for tags prices has been also examined and the results have been commented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danon, Gradimir & Furtula, Mladen & Mandić, Marija, 2012. "Possibilities of implementation of CHP (combined heat and power) in the wood industry in Serbia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 169-176.
- del Río, Pablo & Bleda, Mercedes, 2012. "Comparing the innovation effects of support schemes for renewable electricity technologies: A function of innovation approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 272-282.
- Kuo, Chi-Ron & Hsu, Sung-Wei & Chang, Kai-Han & Wang, Chi-Chuan, 2011. "Analysis of a 50kW organic Rankine cycle system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 5877-5885.
- Mario Ragwitz & Claus Huber & Gustav Resch, 2007. "Promotion of renewable energy sources: effects on innovation," International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1/2), pages 32-56.
- Butler, Lucy & Neuhoff, Karsten, 2008.
"Comparison of feed-in tariff, quota and auction mechanisms to support wind power development,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1854-1867.
- Butler, L. & Neuhoff, K., 2005. "Comparison of Feed in Tariff, Quota and Auction Mechanisms to Support Wind Power Development," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0503, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Batlle, C. & Pérez-Arriaga, I.J. & Zambrano-Barragán, P., 2012. "Regulatory design for RES-E support mechanisms: Learning curves, market structure, and burden-sharing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 212-220.
- Zhu, Sipeng & Deng, Kangyao & Qu, Shuan, 2013. "Energy and exergy analyses of a bottoming Rankine cycle for engine exhaust heat recovery," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 448-457.
- Badami, M. & Mura, M. & Campanile, P. & Anzioso, F., 2008. "Design and performance evaluation of an innovative small scale combined cycle cogeneration system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1264-1276.
- Abusoglu, Aysegul & Kanoglu, Mehmet, 2009. "Exergoeconomic analysis and optimization of combined heat and power production: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2295-2308, December.
- Osborne, Michael J., 2010. "A resolution to the NPV-IRR debate?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 234-239, May.
- Tchanche, Bertrand F. & Lambrinos, Gr. & Frangoudakis, A. & Papadakis, G., 2011. "Low-grade heat conversion into power using organic Rankine cycles – A review of various applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 3963-3979.
- Vélez, Fredy & Segovia, José J. & Martín, M. Carmen & Antolín, Gregorio & Chejne, Farid & Quijano, Ana, 2012. "A technical, economical and market review of organic Rankine cycles for the conversion of low-grade heat for power generation," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 4175-4189.
- Taljan, Gregor & Verbič, Gregor & Pantoš, Miloš & Sakulin, Manfred & Fickert, Lothar, 2012. "Optimal sizing of biomass-fired Organic Rankine Cycle CHP system with heat storage," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 29-38.
- Desai, Nishith B. & Bandyopadhyay, Santanu, 2009. "Process integration of organic Rankine cycle," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1674-1686.
- Kanoglu, Mehmet & Ayanoglu, Abdulkadir & Abusoglu, Aysegul, 2011. "Exergoeconomic assessment of a geothermal assisted high temperature steam electrolysis system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 4422-4433.
- DiGenova, Kevin J. & Botros, Barbara B. & Brisson, J.G., 2013. "Method for customizing an organic Rankine cycle to a complex heat source for efficient energy conversion, demonstrated on a Fischer Tropsch plant," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 746-754.
- Quoilin, Sylvain & Broek, Martijn Van Den & Declaye, Sébastien & Dewallef, Pierre & Lemort, Vincent, 2013. "Techno-economic survey of Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 168-186.
- Stoppato, Anna, 2012. "Energetic and economic investigation of the operation management of an Organic Rankine Cycle cogeneration plant," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 3-9.
- Vlysidis, Anestis & Binns, Michael & Webb, Colin & Theodoropoulos, Constantinos, 2011. "A techno-economic analysis of biodiesel biorefineries: Assessment of integrated designs for the co-production of fuels and chemicals," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 4671-4683.
- Pettinau, Alberto & Ferrara, Francesca & Amorino, Carlo, 2013. "Combustion vs. gasification for a demonstration CCS (carbon capture and storage) project in Italy: A techno-economic analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 160-169.
- Liu, Bo & Rivière, Philippe & Coquelet, Christophe & Gicquel, Renaud & David, Franck, 2012. "Investigation of a two stage Rankine cycle for electric power plants," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 100(C), pages 285-294. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:energy:v:62:y:2013:i:c:p:132-141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.