Combined modeling for electric load forecasting with adaptive particle swarm optimization
Electric load forecasting is crucial for managing electric power systems economically and safely. This paper presents a new combined model for electric load forecasting based on the seasonal ARIMA forecasting model, the seasonal exponential smoothing model and the weighted support vector machines. The combined model can effectively count for the seasonality and nonlinearity shown in the electric load data and give more accurate forecasting results. The adaptive particle swarm optimization is employed to optimize the weight coefficients in the combined forecasting model. The proposed combined model has been compared with the individual models and the other combined model reported in the literature and its results are promising.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowden, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2008. "Short term forecasting of electricity prices for MISO hubs: Evidence from ARIMA-EGARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 3186-3197, November.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Koehler, Anne B. & Snyder, Ralph D. & Grose, Simone, 2002.
"A state space framework for automatic forecasting using exponential smoothing methods,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 439-454.
- Hyndman, R.J. & Koehler, A.B. & Snyder, R.D. & Grose, S., 2000. "A State Space Framework for Automatic Forecasting Using Exponential Smoothing Methods," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 9/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Kavasseri, Rajesh G. & Seetharaman, Krithika, 2009. "Day-ahead wind speed forecasting using f-ARIMA models," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1388-1393.
- Billah, Baki & King, Maxwell L. & Snyder, Ralph D. & Koehler, Anne B., 2006. "Exponential smoothing model selection for forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 239-247.
- Baki Billah & Maxwell L King & Ralph D Snyder & Anne B Koehler, 2005. "Exponential Smoothing Model Selection for Forecasting," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 6/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Pai, Ping-Feng & Lin, Chih-Sheng, 2005. "A hybrid ARIMA and support vector machines model in stock price forecasting," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 497-505, December.
- Pao, H.T., 2009. "Forecasting energy consumption in Taiwan using hybrid nonlinear models," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1438-1446.
- Huang, Min & He, Yong & Cen, Haiyan, 2007. "Predictive analysis on electric-power supply and demand in China," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1165-1174.
- Snyder, Ralph D. & Koehler, Anne B. & Ord, J. Keith, 2002. "Forecasting for inventory control with exponential smoothing," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-18.
- Snyder, R.D. & Koehler, A. & Ord, K., 1999. "Forecasting for Inventory Control with Exponential Smoothing," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 10/99, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Dhahri, Issam & Chabchoub, Habib, 2007. "Nonlinear goal programming models quantifying the bullwhip effect in supply chain based on ARIMA parameters," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1800-1810, March.
- Ediger, Volkan S. & Akar, Sertac, 2007. "ARIMA forecasting of primary energy demand by fuel in Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1701-1708, March.
- Lessmann, Stefan & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E.V., 2009. "Identifying winners of competitive events: A SVM-based classification model for horserace prediction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 569-577, July.
- Tay, Francis E. H. & Cao, Lijuan, 2001. "Application of support vector machines in financial time series forecasting," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 309-317, August.
- Clements, Michael P. & Hendry, David F., 1998. "Forecasting economic processes," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 111-131, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)