Evaluating the potential of concentrating solar power generation in Northwestern India
To accelerate the decarburization in the Indian power sector, concentrating solar power (CSP) needs to play an important role. CSP technologies have found significant space in the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) of the Indian government in which 20,000MW grid connected solar power projects have been targeted by 2022 with 50% capacity for CSP. In this study a preliminary attempt has been made to assess the potential of CSP generation in the Northwestern (NW) regions of India; which seems a high potential area as it has the highest annual solar radiation in India, favorable meteorological conditions for CSP and large amount of waste land. The potential of CSP systems in NW India is estimated on the basis of a detailed solar radiation and land resource assessment. The energy yield exercise has been carried out for the representative locations using System Advisor Model for four commercially available CSP technologies namely Parabolic Trough Collector (PTC), Central receiver system (CRS), Linear Fresnel Reflector (LFR) and Parabolic Dish System (PDS). The financial viability of CSP systems at different locations in NW India is also analyzed in this study.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fouquet, Doerte & Johansson, Thomas B., 2008. "European renewable energy policy at crossroads--Focus on electricity support mechanisms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4079-4092, November.
- Purohit, Pallav, 2007. "Financial evaluation of renewable energy technologies for irrigation water pumping in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3134-3144, June.
- Purohit, Ishan & Purohit, Pallav, 2010. "Techno-economic evaluation of concentrating solar power generation in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 3015-3029, June.
- Janjai, S. & Laksanaboonsong, J. & Seesaard, T., 2011. "Potential application of concentrating solar power systems for the generation of electricity in Thailand," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 4960-4967.
- Damerau, Kerstin & Williges, Keith & Patt, Anthony G. & Gauché, Paul, 2011. "Costs of reducing water use of concentrating solar power to sustainable levels: Scenarios for North Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 4391-4398, July.
- Purohit, Pallav & Michaelowa, Axel, 2005.
"CDM potential of SPV pumps in India,"
HWWI Research Papers
4-4, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Solangi, K.H. & Islam, M.R. & Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Fayaz, H., 2011. "A review on global solar energy policy," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 2149-2163, May.
- Purohit, Pallav & Kandpal, Tara C., 2005. "Renewable energy technologies for irrigation water pumping in India: projected levels of dissemination, energy delivery and investment requirements using available diffusion models," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 592-607, December.
- Gupta, Sandeep Kumar & Purohit, Pallav, 2013. "Renewable energy certificate mechanism in India: A preliminary assessment," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 380-392.
- Deng, Huifang & Boehm, Robert F., 2011. "An estimation of the performance limits and improvement of dry cooling on trough solar thermal plants," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 216-223, January.
- Viebahn, Peter & Lechon, Yolanda & Trieb, Franz, 2011. "The potential role of concentrated solar power (CSP) in Africa and Europe--A dynamic assessment of technology development, cost development and life cycle inventories until 2050," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 4420-4430, August.
- Kost, Christoph & Engelken, Maximilian & Schlegl, Thomas, 2012. "Value generation of future CSP projects in North Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 88-99.
- Pegels, Anna, 2010. "Renewable energy in South Africa: Potentials, barriers and options for support," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4945-4954, September.
- Fluri, Thomas P., 2009. "The potential of concentrating solar power in South Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5075-5080, December.
- Pallav Purohit & Axel Michaelowa, 2008. "CDM potential of SPV lighting systems in India," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 23-46, January.
- Wiser, Ryan & Barbose, Galen & Holt, Edward, 2011. "Supporting solar power in renewables portfolio standards: Experience from the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3894-3905, July.
- Goyal, Mohit & Jha, Rakesh, 2009. "Introduction of Renewable Energy Certificate in the Indian scenario," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1395-1405, August.
- Bosetti, Valentina & Catenacci, Michela & Fiorese, Giulia & Verdolini, Elena, 2012.
"The future prospect of PV and CSP solar technologies: An expert elicitation survey,"
Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 308-317.
- Valentina Bosetti & Michela Catenacci & Giulia Fiorese & Elena Verdolini, 2012. "The Future Prospect of PV and CSP Solar Technologies: An Expert Elicitation Survey," Working Papers 2012.01, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Peters, Michael & Schmidt, Tobias S. & Wiederkehr, David & Schneider, Malte, 2011. "Shedding light on solar technologies'A techno-economic assessment and its policy implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6422-6439, October.
- Fthenakis, Vasilis & Mason, James E. & Zweibel, Ken, 2009. "The technical, geographical, and economic feasibility for solar energy to supply the energy needs of the US," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 387-399, February.
- Pandey, Shreemat & Singh, Vijai Shanker & Gangwar, Naresh Pal & Vijayvergia, M.M. & Prakash, Chandra & Pandey, Deep Narayan, 2012. "Determinants of success for promoting solar energy in Rajasthan, India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 3593-3598.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:62:y:2013:i:c:p:157-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.