Opportunities and barriers for implementing CO2 capture ready designs: A case study of stakeholder perceptions in Guangdong, China
China has been building at least 50 gigawatt (GW) of new coal-fired power plants every year since 2004. In the absence of CO2 capture ready (CCR) designs, a large fraction of new coal power plants built in the next decade could face ‘carbon lock-in’. Building on the existing engineering and economic literature on CO2 capture ready, the aim of this study is to understand the opportunities and challenges in implementing CCR in China. In early 2010, opinion-leaders perceptions towards implementing CCR in Guangdong with two empirical phases are presented: an online consultation of 31 respondents (out of a sample of 82), three face-to-face focus group discussions including 16 officials from five power plants and two oil companies in the Guangdong province. A majority of respondents in the online survey were engineers. The survey results are compared with an earlier study of stakeholders’ views on demonstrating CCS in China, conducted in April 2009 as part of the EU–UK–China Near Zero Emissions Coal initiative (NZEC) project.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xi Liang & David Reiner & Jon Gibbins & Jia Li, 2010.
"Getting ready for carbon capture and storage by issuing capture options,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(6), pages 1286-1307, June.
- Xi Liang & David Reiner & Jon Gibbins & Jia Li, 2010. "Getting Ready for Carbon Capture and Storage by Issuing Capture Options," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 42(6), pages 1286-1307, June.
- Liang, Xi & Reiner, David & Li, Jia, 2011. "Perceptions of opinion leaders towards CCS demonstration projects in China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 1873-1885, May.
- Li, Jia & Liang, Xi & Cockerill, Tim, 2011. "Getting ready for carbon capture and storage through a ‘CCS (Carbon Capture and Storage) Ready Hub’: A case study of Shenzhen city in Guangdong province, China," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 5916-5924.
- Shackley, Simon & Waterman, Holly & Godfroij, Per & Reiner, David & Anderson, Jason & Draxlbauer, Kathy & Flach, Todd, 2007. "Stakeholder perceptions of CO2 capture and storage in Europe: Results from a survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 5091-5108, October.
- Liu, Hengwei & Gallagher, Kelly Sims, 2010. "Catalyzing strategic transformation to a low-carbon economy: A CCS roadmap for China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 59-74, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:45:y:2012:i:c:p:243-251. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.