The effects of resource depletion on coal mining productivity
Abstract: The Solow Residual has a direct interpretation as a measure of technical change under perfect competition and constant returns to scale. When these conditions do not hold, the residual has to be appropriately adjusted in order to be considered correct measure of technical change. We argue that in extractive industries the Solow Residual is also affected by the continuous depletion of a non-renewable resource. Therefore, we provide a new decomposition of the Solow Residual for extractive industries in which the level of reserves is likely to affect extraction costs. Our empirical results illustrate the role played by the depletion of reserves in the measurement of productivity of coal mining in Spain.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, DeVerle P., 1993. "Mineral resource stocks and information," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 21, pages 1011-1076 Elsevier.
- Atanu Saha & C. Richard Shumway & Hovav Talpaz, 1994. "Joint Estimation of Risk Preference Structure and Technology Using Expo-Power Utility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(2), pages 173-184.
- Luis Orea & David Roibás & Alan Wall, 2004.
"Choosing the Technical Efficiency Orientation to Analyze Firms' Technology: A Model Selection Test Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 51-71, July.
- Orea, Luis & Roibas, David & Wall, Alan, 2002. "Choosing the Technical Efficiency Orientation to Analyze Firms’ Technology: A Model Selection Test Approach," Efficiency Series Papers 2002/04, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- James Hartley, 2000. "Does the Solow Residual Actually Measure Changes in Technology?," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 27-44.
- Bhavani Shankar & Carl H. Nelson, 1999. "Joint Risk Preference-Technology Estimation with a Primal System: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 241-244.
- Barten, A. P., 1969. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a complete system of demand equations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 7-73.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1997.
"Aggregate productivity and aggregate technology,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
593, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thijs Raa & Pierre Mohnen, 2002.
"Neoclassical Growth Accounting and Frontier Analysis: A Synthesis,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 111-128, September.
- Thijs ten Raa & Pierre Mohnen, 2009. "Neoclassical Growth Accounting and Frontier Analysis: A Synthesis," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Input–Output Economics: Theory And Applications Featuring Asian Economies, chapter 19, pages 347-370 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Ten Raa, T. & Mohnen, P., 2002. "Neoclassical growth accounting and frontier analysis : A synthesis," Other publications TiSEM b3c67537-f899-4cf5-a5cb-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Ten Raa, T. & Mohnen, P., 2000. "Neoclassical Growth Accounting and Frontier Analysis : A Synthesis," Discussion Paper 2000-67, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- S Reinhard & G Thijssen, 2000. "Nitrogen efficiency of Dutch dairy farms: a shadow cost system approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 167-186, June.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- John R. Livernois, 1988. "Estimates of Marginal Discovery Costs for Oil and Gas," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 379-393, May.
- ?gel de la Fuente, "undated". "On The Determinants Of Cost Performance And The Decomposition Of Returns To Scale Measures In The Presence Of Quasi-Fixed Inputs. A Comment On Morrison And Schwartz (1996) And Related Work," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 445.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Hesse, Dieter M., 1986. "Measuring and assessing capacity utilization in the manufacturing sectors of nine oecd countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 961-989, October.
- Blair, Roger D. & Lusky, Rafael, 1975. "A note on the influence of uncertainty on estimation of production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 391-394, November.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "Specification and Estimation of Production Risk, Risk Preferences and Technical Efficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 8-22.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1976. "A characterization of the normalized restricted profit function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 131-163, February.
- Luis Orea, 2002. "Parametric Decomposition of a Generalized Malmquist Productivity Index," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 5-22, July.
- Balk, B.M., 2001.
"The Residual: On Monitoring and Benchmarking Firms, Industries, and Economies with respect to Productivity,"
ERIM Inaugural Address Series Research in Management
EIA-2001-007-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam..
- Bert Balk, 2003. "The Residual: On Monitoring and Benchmarking Firms, Industries, and Economies with Respect to Productivity," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 5-47, July.
- Chambers, Robert G, 1983. "Scale and Productivity Measurement under Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 802-805, September.
- Rafael Cuesta, 2000. "A Production Model With Firm-Specific Temporal Variation in Technical Inefficiency: With Application to Spanish Dairy Farms," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 139-158, March.
- John T. Cuddington & Diana L. Moss, 2001. "Technological Change, Depletion, and the U.S. Petroleum Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1135-1148, September.
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-465, May.
- Jose Emilio Bosca & Javier Escriba & Maria Jose Murgui, 2004. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Spanish Regions: Effects of Quasi-fixed and External Factors and Varying Capacity Utilization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 587-601.
- Pickering, Andrew, 2008. "The oil reserves production relationship," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 352-370, March.
- Morrison, Catherine J & Schwartz, Amy Ellen, 1996.
"State Infrastructure and Productive Performance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1095-1111, December.
- H. Alan Love & Steven T. Buccola, 1991. "Joint Risk Preference-Technology Estimation with a Primal System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(3), pages 765-774.
- Kulshreshtha, Mudit & Parikh, Jyoti K., 2002. "Study of efficiency and productivity growth in opencast and underground coal mining in India: a DEA analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 439-453, September.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1996. "Technical efficiency measures for dairy farms using panel data: a comparison of alternative model specifications," MPRA Paper 37703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- OW Maietta, 2000. "The decomposition of cost inefficiency into technical and allocative components with panel data of Italian dairy farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 473-495, December.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1992. "Unraveling the Productivity Growth Slowdown in the United States, Canada and Japan: The Effects of Subequilibrium, Scale Economies and Markups," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 381-393, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:30:y:2008:i:2:p:397-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.