Energy Return on Investment for Norwegian Oil and Gas from 1991 to 2008
Norwegian oil and gas fields are relatively new and of high quality, which has led, during recent decades, to very high profitability both financially and in terms of energy production. One useful measure for profitability is Energy Return on Investment, EROI. Our analysis shows that EROI for Norwegian petroleum production ranged from 44:1 in the early 1990s to a maximum of 59:1 in 1996, to about 40:1 in the latter half of the last decade. To compare globally, only very few, if any, resources show such favorable EROI values as those found in the Norwegian oil and gas sector. However, the declining trend in recent years is most likely due to ageing of the fields whereas varying drilling intensity might have a smaller impact on the net energy gain of the fields. We expect the EROI of Norwegian oil and gas production to deteriorate further as the fields become older. More energy-intensive production techniques will gain in importance.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip F. Henshaw & Carey King & Jay Zarnikau, 2011. "System Energy Assessment (SEA), Defining a Standard Measure of EROI for Energy Businesses as Whole Systems," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(10), pages 1908, October.
- Höök, Mikael & Aleklett, Kjell, 2008. "A decline rate study of Norwegian oil production," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4262-4271, November.
- Arias, Carlos & Rodríguez, Xosé Antón, 2005.
"The Effects of Resource Depletion on Coal Mining Productivity,"
Efficiency Series Papers
2005/05, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Rodriguez, Xose Anton & Arias, Carlos, 2008. "The effects of resource depletion on coal mining productivity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 397-408, March.
- Arias, Carlos & Rodríguez, Xosé Antón, 2005. "The Effects of Resource Depletion on Coal Mining Productivity," Efficiency Series Papers 2005/06, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Cleveland, Cutler J., 2005. "Net energy from the extraction of oil and gas in the United States," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 769-782.
- Adam R. Brandt, 2011. "Oil Depletion and the Energy Efficiency of Oil Production: The Case of California," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(10), pages 1833, October.
- David J. Murphy & Charles A.S. Hall & Michael Dale & Cutler Cleveland, 2011. "Order from Chaos: A Preliminary Protocol for Determining the EROI of Fuels," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(10), pages 1888, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:3:y:2011:i:11:p:2050-2070:d:14547. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.