Optimal futures hedging under jump switching dynamics
The article develops a Markov regime switching Generalized Orthogonal GARCH model with conditional jump dynamics (JSGO) for optimal futures hedging. To the author's knowledge, there is no existing study on dynamic futures hedging investigating both the effects of regime switching and conditional jumps. This might be the fact that there is no existing hedging model encompassing both of these features. The JSGO solves this problem by introducing a jump switching filtering algorithm to infer ex post both the distributions of jumps and state variables and a recombining procedure to solve the path-dependency problem. To justify the usefulness of the JSGO on dynamic futures hedging, hedging exercises are performed using FTSE 100 futures data traded in the London International Financial Futures and Options Exchange (LIFFE). JSGO exhibits good out-of-sample performance compared to its jump-free and state-independent counterparts in terms of both criteria of variance reductions and utility improvements.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarno, Lucio & Valente, Giorgio, 2005.
"Empirical exchange rate models and currency risk: some evidence from density forecasts,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 363-385, March.
- Giorgio Valente & Lucio Sarno, 2004. "Empirical Exchange Rate Models and Currency Risk: Some Evidence from Density Forecasts," Working Papers wp04-10, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Roy van der Weide, 2002. "GO-GARCH: a multivariate generalized orthogonal GARCH model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 549-564.
- Giorgio Valente & Lucio Sarno, 2005. "Modelling and forecasting stock returns: exploiting the futures market, regime shifts and international spillovers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 345-376.
- Sarno, Lucio & Giorgio Valente, 2002. "Modelling and Forecasting Stock Returns: Exploiting the Futures Market, Regime Shifts and International Spillovers," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 160, Royal Economic Society.
- Giorgio Valente & Lucio Sarno, 2004. "Modeling and Forecasting Stock Returns: Exploiting the Futures Market, Regime Shifts and International Spillovers," Working Papers wp04-11, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Hsiang‐Tai Lee & Jonathan K. Yoder & Ron C. Mittelhammer & Jill J. McCluskey, 2006. "A random coefficient autoregressive Markov regime switching model for dynamic futures hedging," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 103-129, 02.
- H. N. E. BystrOm, 2003. "The hedging performance of electricity futures on the Nordic power exchange," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-11.
- Gray, Stephen F., 1996. "Modeling the conditional distribution of interest rates as a regime-switching process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-62, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Gray's 1996 Regime Switching GARCH paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00080, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lucio Sarno & Giorgio Valente, 2000. "The cost of carry model and regime shifts in stock index futures markets: An empirical investigation," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 603-624, 08.
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Amir Alizadeh & Nikos Nomikos, 2004. "A Markov regime switching approach for hedging stock indices," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 649-674, 07.
- Chan, Wing H & Maheu, John M, 2002. "Conditional Jump Dynamics in Stock Market Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 377-389, July.
- Tae H. Park & Lorne N. Switzer, 1995. "Bivariate GARCH estimation of the optimal hedge ratios for stock index futures: A note," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 61-67, 02.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994. "Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-124, April-Jun.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-362, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)