Industry structural inefficiency and potential gains from mergers and break-ups: A comprehensive approach
An efficiency indicator of industry configuration (allowing for entry/exit of firms) is presented which accounts for four sources components: (1) size inefficiencies arising from firms which can be conveniently split into smaller units; (2) efficiency gains realized through merger of firms; (3) re-allocation of inputs and outputs among firms; (4) technical inefficiencies. The indicator and its components are computed using linear and mixed-integer programming (data envelopment analysis models). A method to monitor the evolution of these components in time is introduced. Data on hospitals in Australia show that technical inefficiency of hospitals accounts for less than 15% of total industry inefficiency, with 40% attributable to size inefficiencies and the rest to potential mergers and re-allocation effects.
Volume (Year): 230 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bogetoft, Peter & Strange, Niels & Thorsen, Bo Jellesmark, 2001. "Efficiency and Merger Gains in The Danish Forestry Extension Service," Unit of Economics Working papers 24210, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Hsihui Chang & Ram Natarajan, 2005. "Productivity Change, Technical Progress, and Relative Efficiency Change in the Public Accounting Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(2), pages 291-304, February.
- R. Russell & William Schworm, 2009.
"Axiomatic foundations of efficiency measurement on data-generated technologies,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 77-86, April.
- R. Robert Russell & William Schworm, 2007. "Axiomatic Foundations of Efficiency Measurement on Data-Generated Technologies," Discussion Papers 2007-35, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2006. "Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1076-1086, October.
- Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2005. "Aggregation of Malmquist Productivity Indexes," MPRA Paper 34689, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto A. Weber & Colin F. Camerer, 2003. "Cultural Conflict and Merger Failure: An Experimental Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 400-415, April.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978. "Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kwoka, John & Pollitt, Michael, 2010. "Do mergers improve efficiency? Evidence from restructuring the US electric power sector," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 645-656, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Troels Kristensen & Peter Bogetoft & Kjeld Pedersen, 2010. "Potential gains from hospital mergers in Denmark," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 334-345, December.
- Subhash Ray, 2007. "Are some Indian banks too large? An examination of size efficiency in Indian banking," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-56, February.
- Subhash Ray, 2004. "Are Some Indian Bank Too Large? A Examination of Size Efficiency in Indian Banking," Working papers 2004-28, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Peter Bogetoft & Dexiang Wang, 2005. "Estimating the Potential Gains from Mergers," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 145-171, 05.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Wang, Dexiang, 2003. "Estimating the Potential Gains from Mergers," Unit of Economics Working papers 24213, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Rolf Fare & Shawna Grosskopf & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008. "Aggregation of Nerlovian profit indicator," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 845-847.
- Maindiratta, Ajay, 1990. "Largest size-efficient scale and size efficiencies of decision-making units in data envelopment analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 57-72.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 2003. "Scale characterizations in a DEA directional technology distance function framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 108-127, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Banal-Estanol, Albert & Macho-Stadler, Ines & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2008. "Endogenous mergers and endogenous efficiency gains: The efficiency defence revisited," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 69-91, January.
- Vladimir Nesterenko & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Measuring potential gains from reallocation of resources," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 107-116, October.
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2003. "On aggregate Farrell efficiencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 615-620, May.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Walter Briec & Benoit Dervaux & Hervé Leleu, 2003. "Aggregation of Directional Distance Functions and Industrial Efficiency," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 79(3), pages 237-261, 07. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)