Selfish routing in public services
It is well observed that individual behaviour can have an effect on the efficiency of queueing systems. The impact of this behaviour on the economic efficiency of public services is considered in this paper where we present results concerning the congestion related implications of decisions made by individuals when choosing between facilities. The work presented has important managerial implications at a public policy level when considering the effect of allowing individuals to choose between providers. We show that in general the introduction of choice in an already inefficient system will not have a negative effect. Introducing choice in a system that copes with demand will have a negative effect.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 230 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skinner Brian, 2010. "The Price of Anarchy in Basketball," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Nisan,Noam & Roughgarden,Tim & Tardos,Eva & Vazirani,Vijay V. (ed.), 2007. "Algorithmic Game Theory," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521872829, August.
- Naor, P, 1969. "The Regulation of Queue Size by Levying Tolls," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 15-24, January.
- Roughgarden, Tim & Tardos, Eva, 2004. "Bounding the inefficiency of equilibria in nonatomic congestion games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 389-403, May.
- Guo, Pengfei & Hassin, Refael, 2012. "Strategic behavior and social optimization in Markovian vacation queues: The case of heterogeneous customers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(2), pages 278-286.
- Patriksson, Michael, 1993. "A unified description of iterative algorithms for traffic equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 154-176, December.
- Israel Luski, 1976. "On Partial Equilibrium in a Queuing System with Two Servers," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 519-525.
- Han, Deren & Lo, Hong K. & Sun, Jie & Yang, Hai, 2008. "The toll effect on price of anarchy when costs are nonlinear and asymmetric," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 300-316, April.
- Colin E. Bell & Shaler Stidham, Jr., 1983. "Individual versus Social Optimization in the Allocation of Customers to Alternative Servers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 831-839, July.
- Edelson, Noel M, 1971. "Congestion Tolls Under Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(5), pages 873-882, December.
- Shone, Rob & Knight, Vincent A. & Williams, Janet E., 2013. "Comparisons between observable and unobservable M/M/1 queues with respect to optimal customer behavior," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 133-141.
- Knudsen, Niels Chr, 1972. "Individual and Social Optimization in a Multiserver Queue with a General Cost-Benefit Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 515-528, May.
- Byung-Wook Wie, 1995. "A differential game approach to the dynamic mixed behavior traffic network equilibrium problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 117-136, May.
- Correa, José R. & Schulz, Andreas S. & Stier-Moses, Nicolás E., 2008. "A geometric approach to the price of anarchy in nonatomic congestion games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 457-469, November.
- Valentina Zigante, 2011. "Subjective Well-being as a Measure of Welfare and Equity: The Case of Choice Policies in Health Care," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 57(4), pages 715-739, December.
- Uri Yechiali, 1972. "Customers' Optimal Joining Rules for the GI/M/s Queue," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(7), pages 434-443, March.
- Boudali, Olga & Economou, Antonis, 2012. "Optimal and equilibrium balking strategies in the single server Markovian queue with catastrophes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(3), pages 708-715.