Interaction indices for games on combinatorial structures with forbidden coalitions
The notion of interaction among a set of players has been defined on the Boolean lattice and Cartesian products of lattices. The aim of this paper is to extend this concept to combinatorial structures with forbidden coalitions. The set of feasible coalitions is supposed to fulfil some general conditions. This general representation encompasses convex geometries, antimatroids, augmenting systems and distributive lattices. Two axiomatic characterizations are obtained. They both assume that the Shapley value is already defined on the combinatorial structures. The first one is restricted to pairs of players and is based on a generalization of a recursivity axiom that uniquely specifies the interaction index from the Shapley value when all coalitions are permitted. This unique correspondence cannot be maintained when some coalitions are forbidden. From this, a weak recursivity axiom is defined. We show that this axiom together with linearity and dummy player are sufficient to specify the interaction index. The second axiomatic characterization is obtained from the linearity, dummy player and partnership axioms. An interpretation of the interaction index in the context of surplus sharing is also proposed. Finally, our interaction index is instantiated to the case of games under precedence constraints.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000.
"Sharing a River,"
00-06, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Ambec, Stefan & Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 0006, GREEN.
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- AMBEC, Steve & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Grabisch, M. & Roubens, M., 1998.
"An Axiomatic Approach to the Concept of Interaction Among Players in Cooperative Games,"
Liege - Groupe d'Etude des Mathematiques du Management et de l'Economie
9818, UNIVERSITE DE LIEGE, Faculte d'economie, de gestion et de sciences sociales, Groupe d'Etude des Mathematiques du Management et de l'Economie.
- Marc Roubens & Michel Grabisch, 1999. "An axiomatic approach to the concept of interaction among players in cooperative games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 28(4), pages 547-565.
- Faigle, U & Kern, W, 1992. "The Shapley Value for Cooperative Games under Precedence Constraints," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 21(3), pages 249-66.
- Gilles, Robert P & Owen, Guillermo & van den Brink, Rene, 1992.
"Games with Permission Structures: The Conjunctive Approach,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 20(3), pages 277-93.
- Gilles, R.P. & Owen, G. & van den Brink, J.R., 1991. "Games with permission structures : The conjunctive approach," Discussion Paper 1991-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gilles, R.P. & Owen, G. & van den Brink, J.R., 1991. "Games with permission structures : The conjunctive approach," Research Memorandum FEW 473, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bilbao, J. M., 1998. "Axioms for the Shapley value on convex geometries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 368-376, October.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Owen, G. & Tijs, S.H., 1992. "On the position value for communication situations," Other publications TiSEM 5a8473e4-1df7-42df-ad53-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Guillermo Owen, 1972. "Multilinear Extensions of Games," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(5-Part-2), pages 64-79, January.
- Fujimoto, Katsushige & Kojadinovic, Ivan & Marichal, Jean-Luc, 2006. "Axiomatic characterizations of probabilistic and cardinal-probabilistic interaction indices," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 72-99, April.
- Young, H Peyton, 1985. "Producer Incentives in Cost Allocation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 757-65, July.
- Grabisch, Michel, 1996. "The application of fuzzy integrals in multicriteria decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 445-456, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:214:y:2011:i:1:p:99-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.