The hidden information content of price movements
Dynamic patterns of prices in different markets may motivate (strategic) consumers, who could be monitoring price movements over time, to game vendors. Do past price movements carry information about the probability and magnitude of future price drops? Conducting empirical work in the airline industry on near 1000 US domestic routes, we find that some price-metrics carry information about future price swings: these variables can assist in predicting the likelihood and magnitude of price drops. These price-metrics yield significantly different signals which also vary as the prediction horizon changes.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi, 1988. "Competitive Promotional Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 427-49, October.
- Gul, Faruk & Sonnenschein, Hugo & Wilson, Robert, 1986.
"Foundations of dynamic monopoly and the coase conjecture,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 155-190, June.
- Faruk Gul & Hugo Sonnenschein & Robert Wilson, 2010. "Foundations of Dynamic Monopoly and the Coase Conjecture," Levine's Working Paper Archive 232, David K. Levine.
- Frank Bass, 2006. "Variable Pricing in Oligopoly Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 2789-2810, November.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Dasu, Sriram & Tong, Chunyang, 2010. "Dynamic pricing when consumers are strategic: Analysis of posted and contingent pricing schemes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 662-671, August.
- Kalyanaram, Gurumurthy & Little, John D C, 1994. " An Empirical Analysis of Latitude of Price Acceptance in Consumer Package Goods," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(3), pages 408-18, December.
- Mantin, Benny & Koo, Bonwoo, 2009. "Dynamic price dispersion in airline markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 1020-1029, November.
- Winer, Russell S, 1986. " A Reference Price Model of Brand Choice for Frequently Purchased Products," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 250-56, September.
- Yossi Aviv & Amit Pazgal, 2008. "Optimal Pricing of Seasonal Products in the Presence of Forward-Looking Consumers," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 339-359, December.
- Mark Britten-Jones & Anthony Neuberger, 2000. "Option Prices, Implied Price Processes, and Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 839-866, 04.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-83, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus, Benjamin & Anderson, Chris K., 2008. "Revenue management for low-cost providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 258-272, July.
- David Besanko & Wayne L. Winston, 1990. "Optimal Price Skimming by a Monopolist Facing Rational Consumers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(5), pages 555-567, May.
- Xuanming Su, 2007. "Intertemporal Pricing with Strategic Customer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 726-741, May.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1981. "Rational Expectations and Durable Goods Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 112-128, Spring.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Robert Swinney, 2009. "Purchasing, Pricing, and Quick Response in the Presence of Strategic Consumers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(3), pages 497-511, March.
- Stoll, Hans R & Whaley, Robert E, 1990. "Stock Market Structure and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 37-71.
- Swan, William M. & Adler, Nicole, 2006. "Aircraft trip cost parameters: A function of stage length and seat capacity," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 105-115, March.
- Rao, Akshay R & Sieben, Wanda A, 1992. " The Effect of Prior Knowledge on Price Acceptability and the Type of Information Examined," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(2), pages 256-70, September.
- Murthi B. P. S. & Haruvy Ernan & Zhang He, 2007. "The Effect of Variability in Price on Consumer Brand Choice," Review of Marketing Science, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-26, November.
- Gillen, David & Mantin, Benny, 2009. "Price volatility in the airline markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 693-709, September.
- Kinshuk Jerath & Serguei Netessine & Senthil K. Veeraraghavan, 2010. "Revenue Management with Strategic Customers: Last-Minute Selling and Opaque Selling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(3), pages 430-448, March.
- Janiszewski, Chris & Lichtenstein, Donald R, 1999. " A Range Theory Account of Price Perception," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(4), pages 353-68, March.
- Beckers, Stan, 1981. "Standard deviations implied in option prices as predictors of future stock price variability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 363-381, September.
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-371.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:211:y:2011:i:2:p:385-393. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.