Robust optimization using computer experiments
During metamodel-based optimization three types of implicit errors are typically made. The first error is the simulation-model error, which is defined by the difference between reality and the computer model. The second error is the metamodel error, which is defined by the difference between the computer model and the metamodel. The third is the implementation error. This paper presents new ideas on how to cope with these errors during optimization, in such a way that the final solution is robust with respect to these errors. We apply the robust counterpart theory of Ben-Tal and Nemirovsky to the most frequently used metamodels: linear regression and Kriging models. The methods proposed are applied to the design of two parts of the TV tube. The simulation-model errors receive little attention in the literature, while in practice these errors may have a significant impact due to propagation of such errors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200273 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200446 is not listed on IDEAS
- den Hertog, D. & Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Siem, A.Y.D., 2004. "The Correct Kriging Variance Estimated by Bootstrapping," Discussion Paper 2004-46, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sturm, J.F., 2002. "Implementation of Interior Point Methods for Mixed Semidefinite and Second Order Cone Optimization Problems," Discussion Paper 2002-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-226110 is not listed on IDEAS
- den Hertog, Dick & Stehouwer, Peter, 2002. "Optimizing color picture tubes by high-cost nonlinear programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 197-211, July.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200047 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:191:y:2008:i:3:p:816-837. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.