The estimation of welfare levels of a cardinal utility function
In order to measure an individual's welfare function of income, WFI [Van Praag (1968, 1971)], the individual is confronted with various welfare levels and asked to associate income levels with them. The welfare levels are given as verbal qualifications like ‘good’, ‘sufficient’, ‘bad’, etc. It is assumed that these verbal qualifications correspond to intervals of equal length of the range of the WFI. Here we want to test this assumption. A first principal component model is applied. The intervals of the range of the WFI associated with the verbal qualifications are estimated and a test of their equality is performed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom & Buyze, Jeannine, 1978.
"The dynamics of preference formation,"
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 93-98.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Wansbeek, Tom & Buyze, Jeannine, 1979. "Maximizing or Satisficing?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(4), pages 549-63, November.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Van Herwaarden, Floor G., 1980. "Interdependent welfare functions and optimal income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 375-397, December.
- Van Praag, Bernard, 1971.
"The welfare function of income in Belgium: An empirical investigation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 337-369.
- Van Praag, Bernard, 1971. "The welfare function of income in Belgium: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 337-369.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/13005 is not listed on IDEAS
- Van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Kapteyn, Arie, 1973. "Further evidence on the individual welfare function of income: An empirical investigatiion in The Netherlands," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 33-62, April.
- Laffargue, Jean-Pierre, 1977. "Nonlinear models of analysis of variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 347-363, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eecrev:v:17:y:1982:i:3:p:325-332. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.