Bayesian long-run prediction in time series models
This paper considers Bayesian long-run prediction in time series models. We allow time series to exhibit stationary or non-stationary behavior and show how differences between prior structures which have little effect on posterior inferences can have a large effect in a prediction exercise. In particular, the Jeffreys' prior given in Phillips (1991) is seen to prevent the existence of one-period ahead predictive moments. A Bayesian counterpart is provided to Sampson (1991) who takes parameter uncertainty into account in a classical framework. An empirical example illustrates our results.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1993.
"Robust bayesian inference in elliptical regression models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 345-363.
- Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1990. "Robust Bayesian inference in elliptical regression models," Discussion Paper 1990-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M., 1990. "Robust Bayesian Inference In Elliptical Regression Models," Papers 9032, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- OSIEWALSKI, Jacek, "undated". "Robust Bayesian inference in elliptical regression models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DeJong, David N & Whiteman, Charles H, 1991. "The Temporal Stability of Dividends and Stock Prices: Evidence from the Likelihood Function," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 600-617, June.
- Steel, Mark F.J. & Koop, Gary, 1993.
"A decision theoretic analysis of the unit root hypothesis using mixtures of elliptical models,"
DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS
3706, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Koop, Gary & Steel, Mark F J, 1994. "A Decision-Theoretic Analysis of the Unit-Root Hypothesis Using Mixtures of Elliptical Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(1), pages 95-107, January.
- Koop, G. & Steel, M.F.J., 1991. "A Decision Theoretic Analysis of the Unit Root Hypothesis Using Mixtures of Elliptical Models," Papers 9150, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Koop, G. & Steel, M.F.J., 1991. "A decision theoretic analysis of the unit root hypothesis using mixtures of elliptical models," Discussion Paper 1991-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1973. "Multiperiod Predictions from Stochastic Difference Equations by Bayesian Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 109-118, January.
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991.
"On Bayesian routes to unit roots,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990.
"To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
950, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 333-364, Oct.-Dec..
- Thompson, Patrick A & Miller, Robert B, 1986. "Sampling the Future: A Bayesian Approach to Forecasting from Univariate Time Series Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(4), pages 427-436, October.
- Fuller, Wayne A. & Hasza, David P., 1980. "Predictors for the first-order autoregressive process," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 139-157, June.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1994. "What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots: A Bayesian Perspective," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 645-671, August.
- Dreze, Jacques H., 1977. "Bayesian regression analysis using poly-t densities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 329-354, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:69:y:1995:i:1:p:61-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.