Bayesian long-run prediction in time series models
This paper considers Bayesian long-run prediction in time series models. We allow time series to exhibit stationary or non-stationary behavior and show how differences between prior structures which have little effect on posterior inferences can have a large effect in a prediction exercise. In particular, the Jeffreys' prior given in Phillips (1991) is seen to prevent the existence of one-period ahead predictive moments. A Bayesian counterpart is provided to Sampson (1991) who takes parameter uncertainty into account in a classical framework. An empirical example illustrates our results.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1993.
"Robust bayesian inference in elliptical regression models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 345-363.
- OSIEWALSKI, Jacek, "undated". "Robust Bayesian inference in elliptical regression models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1990. "Robust Bayesian inference in elliptical regression models," Discussion Paper 1990-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M., 1990. "Robust Bayesian Inference In Elliptical Regression Models," Papers 9032, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- DeJong, David N & Whiteman, Charles H, 1991. "The Temporal Stability of Dividends and Stock Prices: Evidence from the Likelihood Function," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 600-617, June.
- Koop, Gary & Steel, Mark F J, 1994. "A Decision-Theoretic Analysis of the Unit-Root Hypothesis Using Mixtures of Elliptical Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(1), pages 95-107, January.
- Koop, G. & Steel, M.F.J., 1991. "A decision theoretic analysis of the unit root hypothesis using mixtures of elliptical models," Discussion Paper 1991-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Steel, Mark F.J. & Koop, Gary, 1993. "A decision theoretic analysis of the unit root hypothesis using mixtures of elliptical models," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 3706, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Koop, G. & Steel, M.F.J., 1991. "A Decision Theoretic Analysis of the Unit Root Hypothesis Using Mixtures of Elliptical Models," Papers 9150, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1973. "Multiperiod Predictions from Stochastic Difference Equations by Bayesian Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 109-118, January.
- Schotman, Peter C & van Dijk, Herman K, 1991. "On Bayesian Routes to Unit Roots," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 387-401, Oct.-Dec..
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991. "On Bayesian routes to unit roots," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 333-364, Oct.-Dec..
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 950, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Thompson, Patrick A & Miller, Robert B, 1986. "Sampling the Future: A Bayesian Approach to Forecasting from Univariate Time Series Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(4), pages 427-436, October.
- Fuller, Wayne A. & Hasza, David P., 1980. "Predictors for the first-order autoregressive process," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 139-157, June.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1994. "What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots: A Bayesian Perspective," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 645-671, August.
- Dreze, Jacques H., 1977. "Bayesian regression analysis using poly-t densities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 329-354, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)