A Decision Theoretic Analysis of the Unit Root Hypothesis Using Mixtures of Elliptical Models
This paper develops a formal decision theoretic approach to testing for a unit root in economic time series. The approach is empirically implemented by specifying a loss function based on predictive variances; models are chosen so as to minimize expected loss. In addition, the paper broadens the class of likelihood functions traditionally considered in the Bayesian unit root literature. Empirical results indicate that, while the posterior probability of trend-stationarity is quite high for most of the series considered, the unit root model is often selected in the decision theoretic analysis.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: TILBURG UNIVERSITY, CENTER FOR ECONOMIC RESEARCH, 5000 LE TILBURG THE NETHERLANDS.|
Phone: 31 13 4663050
Fax: 31 13 4663066
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1995.
"Bayesian long-run prediction in time series models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 61-80, September.
- Steel, Mark F.J. & Osiewalski, Jacek & Koop, Gary, 1992. "Bayesian long-run prediction in time series models," UC3M Working papers. Economics 2822, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- DeJong, David N. & Whiteman, Charles H., 1991. "Reconsidering 'trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 221-254, October.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Werner Ploberger, 1991. "Time Series Modelling with a Bayesian Frame of Reference: 1. Concepts and Illustrations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 980, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Schotman, Peter & van Dijk, Herman K., 1991. "A Bayesian analysis of the unit root in real exchange rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 195-238.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1992.
"Recursive and Sequential Tests of the Unit-Root and Trend-Break Hypotheses: Theory and International Evidence,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 271-87, July.
- Anindya Banerjee & Robin L. Lumsdaine & James H. Stock, 1990. "Recursive and Sequential Tests of the Unit Root and Trend Break Hypothesis: Theory and International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1988.
"Bayesian skepticism on unit root econometrics,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
3, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tom Doan, . "BAYESTST: RATS procedure to perform Bayesian Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00014, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M., 1990.
"Robust Bayesian Inference In Elliptical Regression Models,"
9032, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1993. "Robust bayesian inference in elliptical regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 345-363.
- Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1990. "Robust Bayesian inference in elliptical regression models," Discussion Paper 1990-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990.
"To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
950, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 333-64, Oct.-Dec..
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Dreze, Jacques H., 1977. "Bayesian regression analysis using poly-t densities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 329-354, November.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1973. "Multiperiod Predictions from Stochastic Difference Equations by Bayesian Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 109-18, January.
- Sampson, Michael, 1991. "The Effect of Parameter Uncertainty on Forecast Variances and Confidence Intervals for Unit Root and Trend Stationary Time-Series Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 67-76, Jan.-Marc.
- Koop, Gary, 1991. "Intertemporal Properties of Real Output: A Bayesian Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 253-65, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:tilbur:9150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.