Robust tests for heteroskedasticity in the one-way error components model
This paper constructs tests for heteroskedasticity in one-way error components models, in line with Baltagi etÂ al. [Baltagi, B.H., Bresson, G., Pirotte, A., 2006. Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model. Journal of Econometrics 134, 401-417]. Our tests have two additional robustness properties. First, standard tests for heteroskedasticity in the individual component are shown to be negatively affected by heteroskedasticity in the remainder component. We derive modified tests that are insensitive to heteroskedasticity in the component not being checked, and hence help identify the source of heteroskedasticity. Second, Gaussian-based LM tests are shown to reject too often in the presence of heavy-tailed (e.g. t-Student) distributions. By using a conditional moment framework, we derive distribution-free tests that are robust to non-normalities. Our tests are computationally convenient since they are based on simple artificial regressions after pooled OLS estimation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1987.
"Implicit Alternatives and the Local Power of Test Statistics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1305-1329, November.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1984. "Implicit Alternatives and the Local Power of Test Statistics," Working Papers 556, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson , R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1985. "Implicit alternatives and the local power of test statistics," CORE Discussion Papers 1985025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Evans, Merran, 1992. "Robustness of size of tests of autocorrelation and heteroscedasticity to nonnormality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 7-24.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Bresson, Georges & Pirotte, Alain, 2006. "Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 401-417, October.
- Baltagi B-H. & Bresson G. & Pirotte A., 2004. "Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model," Working Papers ERMES 0408, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2005. "Joint LM Test for Homoskedasticity in a One-Way error Component Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 72, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1991. "On the application of robust, regression- based diagnostics to models of conditional means and conditional variances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Bera, Anil K. & Jarque, Carlos M., 1982. "Model specification tests : A simultaneous approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 59-82, October.
- Koenker, Roger & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1982. "Robust Tests for Heteroscedasticity Based on Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Jung, Byoung Cheol & Song, Seuck Heun, 2010. "Testing for heteroskedasticity and serial correlation in a random effects panel data model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 122-124, February.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Byoung Cheol Jung & Seuck Heun Song, 2008. "Testing for Heteroskedasticity and Serial Correlation in a Random Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 111, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1989. "Asymptotic relative efficiency of the classical test statistics under misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 351-369, November.
- Walter Sosa-Escudero & Anil K. Bera, 2008. "Tests for unbalanced error-components models under local misspecification," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(1), pages 68-78, February.
- Walter Sosa Escudero & Anil K. Bera, 2005. "Tests for Unbalanced Error Components Models Under Local Misspecification," Working Papers 81, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Dec 2007.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1990. "A Unified Approach to Robust, Regression-Based Specification Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 17-43, March.
- Koenker, Roger, 2004. "Quantile regression for longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 74-89, October.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1985. "Maximum Likelihood Specification Testing and Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1047-1070, September.
- Dastoor, Naorayex K., 1997. "Testing for conditional heteroskedasticity with misspecified alternative hypotheses," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 63-80.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- Robert F. Phillips, 2003. "Estimation of a Stratified Error-Components Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(2), pages 501-521, 05.
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)