Moment-based tests for individual and time effects in panel data models
This paper proposes two Hausman-type tests respectively for individual and time effects in a two-way error component regression model by comparing estimators of the variance of the idiosyncratic error at different robust levels. They are both robust to the presence of the other effect, and the test for the individual effect has a larger asymptotic power than the corresponding ANOVA F test when the effects are correlated with covariates. Tests jointly for both effects are also discussed. Monte Carlo evidence shows their good size properties and better power properties than competing tests, and the application to the crime rate study gives further support.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae & Li, Qi, 1992. "Monte Carlo results on several new and existing tests for the error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 95-120.
- Zaixing Li & Lixing Zhu, 2010. "On Variance Components in Semiparametric Mixed Models for Longitudinal Data," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 37(3), pages 442-457.
- Jianhong Wu & Lixing Zhu, 2012. "Estimation of and testing for random effects in dynamic panel data models," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 477-497, September.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2005.
"Joint LM Test for Homoskedasticity in a One-Way error Component Model,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
72, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Bresson, Georges & Pirotte, Alain, 2006. "Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 401-417, October.
- Baltagi B-H. & Bresson G. & Pirotte A., 2004. "Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model," Working Papers ERMES 0408, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Badi H. Baltagi, 2006. "Estimating an economic model of crime using panel data from North Carolina," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 543-547.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Byoung Cheol Jung & Seuck Heun Song, 2008.
"Testing for Heteroskedasticity and Serial Correlation in a Random Effects Panel Data Model,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
111, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Jung, Byoung Cheol & Song, Seuck Heun, 2010. "Testing for heteroskedasticity and serial correlation in a random effects panel data model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 122-124, February.
- Honda, Yuzo, 1985. "Testing the Error Components Model with Non-normal Disturbances," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 681-90, October.
- Anil Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000.
"Test for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification,"
Department of Economics, Working Papers
022, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Bera, Anil K. & Sosa-Escudero, Walter & Yoon, Mann, 2001. "Tests for the error component model in the presence of local misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Anil K. Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Tests for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1888, Econometric Society.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521522717 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Estimation of spatial autoregressive panel data models with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 165-185, February.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Gabriel Montes-Rojas & Walter Sosa-Escudero, 2010.
"Robust tests for heteroskedasticity in the one-way error components model,"
- Montes-Rojas, Gabriel & Sosa-Escudero, Walter, 2011. "Robust tests for heteroskedasticity in the one-way error components model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(2), pages 300-310, February.
- Gabriel Montes-Rojas & Walter Sosa-Escudero, 2010. "Robust tests for heteroskedasticity in the one-way error components model," Post-Print hal-00768191, HAL.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2005. "Model Selection And Inference: Facts And Fiction," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 21-59, February.
- Lee A. Lillard & Robert J. Willis, 1976.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earnings Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
0150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ping Wu & Li Xing Zhu, 2010. "An Orthogonality-Based Estimation of Moments for Linear Mixed Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 37(2), pages 253-263.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Heun Song, Seuck & Cheol Jung, Byoung & Koh, Won, 2007. "Testing for serial correlation, spatial autocorrelation and random effects using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 5-51, September.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "A Spatial Dynamic Panel Data Model With Both Time And Individual Fixed Effects," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 564-597, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521818551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wu, Jianhong & Su, Weihua, 2010. "Estimation of moments for linear panel data models with potential existence of time effects," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1933-1939, December.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Trumbull, William N, 1994. "Estimating the Economic Model of Crime with Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 360-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:178:y:2014:i:p3:p:569-581. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.