M Tests with a New Normalization Matrix
This paper proposes a new family of M tests, building on the work of Kuan and Lee (2006) and Kiefer, Vogelsang and Bunzel (2000). The new test replaces the asymptotic covariance matrix in the conventional M test with an alternative normalization matrix, constructed using moment functions estimated from (K + 1) recursive subsamples. It is simple to implement, automatically accounts for the e¤ect of parameter estimation uncertainty, and allows for condi- tional heteroskedasticity and serial correlation of general forms. It converges to the central F distribution under the fixed-K asymptotics, and to the Chi-square distribution if K is allowed to approach in?nity. We illustrate its applicability using three simulation examples. They are: (1) specification testing for conditional heteroskedastic models, (2) nonnested testing with serially correlated errors, and (3) testing for serial correlation with unknown heteroskedasticity. The test exhibits good size properties and its power can be substantially higher than the test of Kuan and Lee (2006). Overall, the results suggest that, by integrating "self-normalization" and "fixed-bandwidth asymptotics" into the M-testing framework, we obtain an analytically simple yet widely applicable approach to misspeci?cation testing.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 270 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215|
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005.
"A New Asymptotic Theory for Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests,"
05-08, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005. "A New Asymptotic Theory For Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1130-1164, December.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1991. "On the application of robust, regression- based diagnostics to models of conditional means and conditional variances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, December.
- Choi, Hwan-Sik & Kiefer, Nicholas M., 2008. "Robust Nonnested Testing and the Demand for Money," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 9-17, January.
- Pagan, Adrian & Vella, Frank, 1989. "Diagnostic Tests for Models Based on Individual Data: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S29-59, Supplemen.
- Stefan Lundbergh & Timo Teräsvirta, 1999.
"Evaluating GARCH Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-008/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lundbergh, Stefan & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "Evaluating GARCH models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 292, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 May 1999.
- Xiaofeng Shao, 2010. "A self-normalized approach to confidence interval construction in time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(3), pages 343-366.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Henning Bohn & Peter C. Reiss, 1985.
"Alternative Nonnested Specification Tests of Time Series Investment Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Bohn, Henning & Reiss, Peter C., 1988. "Alternative non-nested specification tests of time-series investment models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 293-326, March.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- Qu, Zhongjun, 2008. "Testing for structural change in regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 170-184, September.
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang & Helle Bunzel, 2000.
"Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 695-714, May.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Berkes, Istv n & Horv th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2003. "Asymptotics For Garch Squared Residual Correlations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 515-540, August.
- Heung Wong & Shiqing Ling, 2005. "Mixed Portmanteau Tests for Time-Series Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 569-579, 07.
- Bunzel H. & Kiefer N. M. & Vogelsang T. J., 2001.
"Simple Robust Testing of Hypotheses in Nonlinear Models,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1088-1096, September.
- Bunzel, Helle & Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy, 2001. "Simple Robust Testing of Hypothesis in Non-Linear Models," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5214, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Durbin, J, 1970. "Testing for Serial Correlation in Least-Squares Regression When Some of the Regressors are Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 410-421, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:wpaper:wp2010-050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.