On the distribution of the sample autocorrelation coefficients
Sample autocorrelation coefficients are widely used to test the randomness of a time series. Despite its unsatisfactory performance, the asymptotic normal distribution is often used to approximate the distribution of the sample autocorrelation coefficients. This is mainly due to the lack of an efficient approach in obtaining the exact distribution of sample autocorrelation coefficients. In this paper, we provide an efficient algorithm for evaluating the exact distribution of the sample autocorrelation coefficients. Under the multivariate elliptical distribution assumption, the exact distribution as well as exact moments and joint moments of sample autocorrelation coefficients are presented. In addition, the exact mean and variance of various autocorrelation-based tests are provided. Actual size properties of the Box-Pierce and Ljung-Box tests are investigated, and they are shown to be poor when the number of lags is moderately large relative to the sample size. Using the exact mean and variance of the Box-Pierce test statistic, we propose an adjusted Box-Pierce test that has a far superior size property than the traditional Box-Pierce and Ljung-Box tests.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus, J.R., 1978. "The moments of products of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM 17c77a44-1789-4cf4-a382-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Ansley, Craig F. & Kohn, Robert & Shively, Thomas S., 1992. "Computing p-values for the generalized Durbin-Watson and other invariant test statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 277-300.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988.
"Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Roy, Roch, 1985. "Some robust exact results on sample autocorrelations and tests of randomness," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 257-273, September.
- Dufour, J.M. & Roy, R., 1984. "Some Robust Exact Results on Sample Autocorrelations and Tests of Randomness," Cahiers de recherche 8412, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kan, Raymond, 2008. "From moments of sum to moments of product," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 542-554, March.
- Richardson, Matthew & Smith, Tom, 1991. "Tests of Financial Models in the Presence of Overlapping Observations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(2), pages 227-254.
- Zeng-Hua Lu & Maxwell King, 2002. "Improving The Numerical Technique For Computing The Accumulated Distribution Of A Quadratic Form In Normal Variables," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 149-165.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM c6725407-ac3c-44fd-b6d1-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1988. "Mean reversion in stock prices : Evidence and Implications," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-59, October.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Mean Reversion in Stock Prices: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 2343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ali, Mukhtar M, 1984. "Distributions of the Sample Autocorrelations When Observations Are from a Stationary Autoregressive-Moving-Average Process," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(3), pages 271-278, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)