Reexamination of dynamic efficiency with taxation on land
This paper examines the possibility of overaccumulation of capital in an overlapping generations economy with land. With zero population growth rate, the steady state equilibrium is dynamically efficient. Imposition of property tax on land, however, distorts the arbitrage condition and can generate dynamic inefficiency, whereas a tax on rental incomes or capital gains preserves dynamic efficiency. Even with a positive growth rate in population, property tax can still generate dynamic inefficiency.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Kyung-Soo & Lee, Jaewoo, 1997.
"Reexamination of dynamic efficiency with taxation on land,"
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 169-175, December.
- Kim, K-S. & Lee, J., 1996. "Reexamination of Dynamic Efficiency with Taxation on Land," Papers 96-97-03, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1977. "The Surprising Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Answer to an Old Question," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 349-60, April.
- Nichols, Donald A, 1970. "Land and Economic Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 332-40, June.
- Stefan Homburg, 1991. "Interest and Growth in an Economy with Land," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 450-59, May.
- Rhee, Changyong, 1991. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Economy with Land," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 791-97, July.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:57:y:1997:i:2:p:169-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.