Reexamination of dynamic efficiency with taxation on land
This paper examines the possibility of overaccumulation of capital in an overlapping generations economy with land. With zero population growth rate, the steady state equilibrium is dynamically efficient. Imposition of property tax on land, however, distorts the arbitrage condition and can generate dynamic inefficiency, whereas a tax on rental incomes or capital gains preserves dynamic efficiency. Even with a positive growth rate in population, property tax can still generate dynamic inefficiency.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1977. "The Surprising Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Answer to an Old Question," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 349-60, April.
- Nichols, Donald A, 1970. "Land and Economic Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 332-40, June.
- Kim, K-S. & Lee, J., 1996.
"Reexamination of Dynamic Efficiency with Taxation on Land,"
96-97-03, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Kim, Kyung-Soo & Lee, Jaewoo, 1997. "Reexamination of dynamic efficiency with taxation on land," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 169-175, December.
- Rhee, Changyong, 1991. "Dynamic Inefficiency in an Economy with Land," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 791-97, July.
- Stefan Homburg, 1991. "Interest and Growth in an Economy with Land," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 450-59, May.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:57:y:1997:i:2:p:169-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.