Stock index return forecasting: The information of the constituents
We investigate whether the use of component forecasts improves the accuracy of a portfolio forecast which uses only aggregate data. The results show that the use of component data improves the accuracy of aggregate forecasts. Furthermore, the long–short trading strategy based on the component forecasts always generates substantially higher returns than the buy-and-hold strategy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F. & Hubrich, Kirstin, 2006.
"Forecasting economic aggregates by disaggregates,"
Working Paper Series
0589, European Central Bank.
- Breen, William & Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1989. " Economic Significance of Predictable Variations in Stock Index Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1177-89, December.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hendry, David F. & Hubrich, Kirstin, 2011.
"Combining Disaggregate Forecasts or Combining Disaggregate Information to Forecast an Aggregate,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(2), pages 216-227.
- David F. Hendry & Kirstin Hubrich, 2011. "Combining Disaggregate Forecasts or Combining Disaggregate Information to Forecast an Aggregate," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 216-227, April.
- Hendry, David F. & Hubrich, Kirstin, 2010. "Combining disaggregate forecasts or combining disaggregate information to forecast an aggregate," Working Paper Series 1155, European Central Bank.
- Rubén Hernández-Murillo & Michael T. Owyang, 2004.
"The information content of regional employment data for forecasting aggregate conditions,"
2004-005, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hernandez-Murillo, Ruben & Owyang, Michael T., 2006. "The information content of regional employment data for forecasting aggregate conditions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 335-339, March.
- Fok, Dennis & van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans, 2005.
"Forecasting aggregates using panels of nonlinear time series,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 785-794.
- Fok, D. & van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2004. "Forecasting aggregates using panels of nonlinear time series," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2004-44, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Jennifer L. Castle & David F. Hendry, 2010. "Nowcasting from disaggregates in the face of location shifts," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(1-2), pages 200-214.
- Kanas, Angelos, 2001. "Neural Network Linear Forecasts for Stock Returns," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 245-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:116:y:2012:i:1:p:72-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.