Has the world moved forward? A robust multidimensional evaluation
This paper presents a multidimensional normative framework to evaluate whether the world moved forward between 1980 and 2008. We focus on the robustness of the results when attributing different weights to the different dimensions. Population-weighted international welfare has not worsened over this period. However, the trend in the underlying inequality is ambiguous, once sufficient weight is given to longevity and/or income.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angus Deaton, 2005.
"Measuring Poverty in a Growing World (or Measuring Growth in a Poor World),"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Angus Deaton, 2003. "Measuring Poverty in a Growing World (or Measuring Growth in a Poor World)," NBER Working Papers 9822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angus Deaton, 2004. "Measuring poverty in a growing world (or measuring growth in a poor world)," Working Papers 178, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Capeau, Bart & Decoster, Andre, 2004. "The Rise or Fall of World Inequality: A Spurious Controversy?," WIDER Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Angus Deaton, 2005. "ERRATUM: Measuring Poverty in a Growing World (or Measuring Growth in a Poor World)," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 395-395, May.
- Decancq, Koen & Decoster, André & Schokkaert, Erik, 2009. "The Evolution of World Inequality in Well-being," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 11-25, January.
- DECANCK, Koen & DECOSTER, André & SCHOOKAERT, Erik, "undated". "The evolution of world inequality in well-being," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2140, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koen Decancq & André Decoster & Erik Schokkaert, 2007. "The evolution of World inequality in Well-being," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0704, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad, 2006. "International Convergence or Higher Inequality in Human Development? Evidence for 1975 to 2002," WIDER Working Paper Series 015, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sudhir Anand & Paul Segal, 2008. "What Do We Know about Global Income Inequality?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 57-94, March.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2010. "On Analyzing the World Distribution of Income," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On analysing the world distribution of income," Working Papers 97, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Anthony Barnes Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2009. "On analysing the world distribution of income," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 701, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13.
- Steve Dowrick & Muhammad Akmal, 2005. "Contradictory Trends In Global Income Inequality: A Tale Of Two Biases," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 201-229, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)