Has the world moved forward? A robust multidimensional evaluation
This paper presents a multidimensional normative framework to evaluate whether the world moved forward between 1980 and 2008. We focus on the robustness of the results when attributing different weights to the different dimensions. Population-weighted international welfare has not worsened over this period. However, the trend in the underlying inequality is ambiguous, once sufficient weight is given to longevity and/or income.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- DECANCK, Koen & DECOSTER, André & SCHOOKAERT, Erik, .
"The evolution of world inequality in well-being,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2140, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anthony Barnes Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2009.
"On analysing the world distribution of income,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
701, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sudhir Anand & Paul Segal, 2008. "What Do We Know about Global Income Inequality?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 57-94, March.
- Steve Dowrick & Muhammad Akmal, 2005. "Contradictory Trends In Global Income Inequality: A Tale Of Two Biases ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 201-229, 06.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad, 2006. "International Convergence or Higher Inequality in Human Development? Evidence for 1975 to 2002," Working Paper Series RP2006/15, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Angus Deaton, 2003.
"Measuring Poverty in a Growing World (or Measuring Growth in a Poor World),"
NBER Working Papers
9822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angus Deaton, 2005. "Measuring Poverty in a Growing World (or Measuring Growth in a Poor World)," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Angus Deaton, 2004. "Measuring poverty in a growing world (or measuring growth in a poor world)," Working Papers 178, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Angus Deaton, 2005. "ERRATUM: Measuring Poverty in a Growing World (or Measuring Growth in a Poor World)," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 395-395, May.
- Capeau, Bart & Decoster, Andre, 2004. "The Rise or Fall of World Inequality: A Spurious Controversy?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:107:y:2010:i:2:p:266-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.